Re: [News] Microsoft Allies Block Use of Linux?

Op Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:21:40 -0500, schreef amicus_curious:

>> Accounting Vendors Block Linux Server Use
>>
>> | Is this one more Redmond conspiracy against Linux, or is something
>> | else going on here? No doubt Microsoft is delighted with the way
>> | this works out, but what I don't understand is why Intuit and Sage
>> | would both go along with it. Why would two major application vendors,
>> | who compete against each other and also face a threat from Microsoft
>> | in that space, restrict their customers' choices to the benefit
>> | of Redmond?
>> `----
>>
> I had commented previously about the excessive paranoia that seems to
> pervade the community of OSS advocates regarding Microsoft.  They see a
> conspiracy in virtually every activity favorable to Microsoft products.
> This instance is no exception.  In spite of the mantra of the Unix followers
> and their bretheren, Java is not as totally popular as they claim.  Many
> other companies are changing their new product releases to obtain the
> benefits of .NET features.
[snip]

This "excessive paranoia" is totally justified, as Microsoft won't let any
opportunity pass where they think they can get away with cheating, crimes
and other unethical or illegal means to favour themselves. Just look at
this innocent Web poll, where some web site asked developers whether
they'd rather support Java or .NET. Initially, Java got three times as
many votes as .NET. But all of a sudden, votes for .NET started pouring
in. It turned out that it was a concerted effort from Microsoft to
influence the outcome, with one person attempting to cast 228 votes for
.NET. If Microsoft is willing to stoop to this utterly pathetic behaviour
just to rig an innocent and insignificant Web vote, it's not hard to
imagine to what lengths they'll go if some real money and or power are at
stake. In fact, no imagination is needed - there's a lot of evidence
already of Microsoft choking competition and ruling the market with an
iron fist.

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/