Re: [News] One-of-a-kind Humanoid Runs Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 09 Jan 2007 06:38:39 +0000
<2247119.3Ifxn07uzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Linux robot promises to "see you soon"
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Aldebaran's Nao design stands 21.6 inches tall, and implements 23 degrees
> | of freedom, including gripping hands. It runs Linux and comes with PC
> | software that enables users to control their android remotely, via WiFi.
> | The software will also enable users to program their android's
> | behavior, emotional expressions, speech synthesizer, and other
> | capabilities, or collect data from its onboard video camera and
> | other sensors, Aldebaran says.
> |
> | Interestingly, one of the videos shows several lights on the Nao
> | design cycling through various colors. This suggests that the
> | robot could use various light colors to express its emotions,
> | similar to the Violet Dal emotional lamp, another intriguing
> | Linux-based device of French origination.
> `----

A link also mentions hacking the Roomba vacuum.  That's
arguably a more useful robot, although we'll see how far
we get to either Asimov's visions or Lester Del Rey's
using prototypes such as Aldebaran's.

Or -- heaven forbid -- Fred Saberhagen's.

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS4356841803.html

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -- insert random C+ drive and cannon here
Does anyone else remember the 1802?