Re: [News] 10 Reasons Linux Beats Windows Vista

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 09 Jan 2007 07:09:42 +0000
<6039778.NYUEl5AToe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Why Linux should be taken over Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | 1. The price

I'll admit to wondering about this.  On new machines the cost of Vista
will be well hidden.

> | 2. Pick what suits you best

Vista has 6 choices.  The link claims dozens, but at last
count on www.distrowatch.org Linux has over 350+, with
many distros (e.g. Gentoo) allowing for massive further
customization if one wants to pay the price using local
compiles, and of course one can tweak the settings by
editing config files.

(Of course many of these are derivatives, and it would take
some doing to untangle the web of distros.)

It is possible some might not be able to handle such choice.
That's fine; pick one of the Top Ten on distrowatch and be
done with it.

> | 3. The Community

COLA is not representative, as you probably already know. :-)

> | 4. Hardware

This will need to be clarified.  Of course the Wintrools
love to throw esoteric stuff at the problem; for the most
part Linux just fires itself up and works.  (There are
issues with some secondary functions, such as OpenGL.)

The link suggests that yesteryear hardware will run fine
in Linux; this is true.  A subtle point, of course, is
that this sort of logic relegates Linux to the passenger
seat when it should be driving; a better phrasing might
emphasize that Linux uses less RAM and disk space.

> | 5. Viruses

Viruses?  What viruses?  :-)

> | 6. Regular Updates

I'll admit I try to sync my tree weekly (in Gentoo,
that's done via 'emerge --rsync'; other distros will of
course have their own ideas).  Most of the time, it's
painless; there's been a few exceptions such as the xorg
6->7 transition.

> | 7. Digital Rights Management

See #5.

> | 8. Genuine Advantage

More like "Genuine Disadvantage".  I'll admit to wondering
if Ford started it with their one ad campaign, paraphrased:

   "It may be your computer, but it's still our OS."

> | 9. Do you like being treated like a child?

Depends.  Are there lots of yummy cookies? :-)

In Linux, one might have to know the details, but at least
on the command level (I'd have to look regarding tools
such as Nautilus and Konqueror, but since both support a
"Trash" bin there's probably not much of an issue here),
if one wants to confirm every deletion, one can alias:

alias rm='/bin/rm -i'

which will prompt the user for every deletion.  This to me
gets annoying fairly quickly (I learned Unix in my college
daze), but it is an option.

> | 10. Customisation

See #2.

> `----
>
> http://www.seopher.com/articles/why_linux_should_be_taken_over_vista

Reasonably good, if lean, article.  But then, if it were a huge article
it's not clear how many would read it. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #104392:
for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);