Re: [NEWS] Dark cloud over good works of Gates Foundation

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Sunday 07 January 2007 19:56 \__

> On 2007-01-07, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> http://fixyourthinking.com/2006/11/wrong-yesterday-wrong-today-wrong.html
>>
>> Additionally, the foundation has the following factor:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| My background is finance and accounting....
>>|
>>| However, the Gates Buffet foundation grant is nothing more than a shell
>>| game in which control of assets for both Gates and Buffet remain the
>>| same.
>>|
>>| THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT THE ACCUMULATION OF WEALTH BY THESE TWO WILL
>>| BE MUCH MORE MASSIVE BECAUSE THEY WILL NO LONGER HAVE TO PAY ANY TAXES.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/futurew...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg03323.html
>
> For some reason there seem to be people here that think Mr. Gates gives
> shit one about anything other than his own bank account. He doen't care
> about sick kids in Africa, he cares about sheltering his money and
> making the pile grow larger, period. He is, and always has been, a
> businessman making money. He cares as much for starving children as he
> does for anyone else on earth who is not currently assisting him in
> achieving the next goal on his list.

I have always believed that at the same time he cares for how history books
will have him remembered. On the face of it, his investment in Computing
Museum/s and donations of software to libraries (maybe along with framed
photos of Mellisa and him) will make judgment difficult. Bill Gates does not
comes from a philantropic family (neither does Ballmer), so it's natural to
assume that his mindset revolves around market share (success gauge), bank
balance (way of keeping track of 'score'), and public image. The Foundation
could be a criminal's resort/haven that come from guilt, combined with hope
of making up for past misuse. Among the misuse are poor nations who never
had the chance to surpass barriers and bridge the gap with G8.

FWIW, my family is middle class and my father has been doing volunteer work
over the years. I think I was brought up to appreciate this, but at the same
time I see others whose whole perception of the world seems sickening (from
a humanitarian POV), to say the very least. CEO's rarely escape this loop of
vanity, predatory race with peers, damage/waste, and disregard for the
feeling of those who surround them.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes for the new year!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I blame God for making me an atheist"
  8:05pm  up 81 days  6:19,  6 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.10, 1.04