Re: CNN Reviews the PS3; Scores: 8.8 Out of 10

In article <1168126400.265738.271560@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Neither its value nor the fact that the PS3 can even run Linux was
> mentioned. This wasn't a short article either.

This was an interesting statement:

   "Now, the bad news: the system will be in such short supply in the
   early going, you probably won't be able to get one for a while, even
   if you wanted to buy one."

That turns out to be way off.  It's fairly easy to get a PS3 now.  In
Japan, you can simply walk into the store and pick one up.  In the US,
Best Buy has had a good supply for sale online for the last couple of
days, and a few others have them in bundles.  Some eBay auctions are
ending up going for less than retail (about $50 over retail if you count
shipping).

That review mentioned one other thing I hadn't realized: the PS3 lacks
in IR port.  That sucks.  It means you won't be able to use your
existing learning remotes to control the PS3 for movie playback.  You'll
have to use the PS3 controllers, or Sony's $25 add-on.  There's an
opportunity here for third parties: make an IR to Bluetooth adaptor.

--
--Tim Smith