Re: [News] Microsoft Likely to Buy Its Way Into Web Services, Say Analysts

__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Saturday 06 January 2007 14:34 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> | Microsoft is certainly in a position to buy big names. And AOL is
>> | very likely to be in play, even if its brand has been somewhat
>> | tarnished in recent years. If Internet stocks drop significantly
>> | during 2007, the chances of these scenarios playing out will
>> | increase correspondingly.
>
> Have you checked out their stock recently (MSFT).
>
> Even with:
>
>         "record" xbox sales
>         "Vista" a new and more expensive OS
>         "billions" of dollars of buybacks
>
> It's still sinking...and yes, the buyback pushed it up to 30, but now it's
> sunk to 29 -- and it's still no where near its historic high after the Tech
> Bust (unlike many .dotcoms such as Ebay which have recovered).

The analysts say that they peaked in the mid/late nineties... not just from a
financial point-of-view, but also from a technical one. Their aggressive
nature (e.g. SCO) has alienated too many of the talented programmers, let
alone the valuable customers. I am appalled by Oracle's attempts to create
confusion by acquisitions as well. on the face of it, Intel used  some
tricks which it shares with Microsoft too.

I guess corruption in the market is inevitable, but once it's there, it ought
to be pinpointed. In this age of hosting for a buck, nobody gets away with
fraud.

The economy of free/libre open source software discourages that same type of
corruption because it gives control to the user/customer, rather than the
vendor.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes for the new year!

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
Cpu(s):  21.7% user,   3.0% system,   1.0% nice,  74.3% idle