[News] Writing Windows Vista Drivers is Hard

Vista drivers are a handful

,----[ Quote ]
| For once, Nvidia and ATI agree that Vista driver is a real
| handful and not easy to support.

I wonder if part of this difficulty is to do with scrambling of signals,
which not only slows down the software, but also affects digital
preservation...

Cost analysis of Vista DRM: Part II

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft doesn't merely use DRM. To all intents and purposes it
| is DRM, better known as Digital Rights Management, Digital
| Restrictions Management or or just plain CRAP for Content
| Restriction, Annulment, and Protection, as ZDNet's David
| Berlind called it, eventually deferring to Richard Stallman's
| Cancellation, Restriction, and Punishment. We call it, simply,
| CCG, short for Consumer Control Gear.
`----

http://p2pnet.net/story/10827

Feeding Frenzy: Digital Rights Management is really just an ecosystem for
selling our own stuff to us again and again.

,----[ Quote ]
| And into this confluence of greed and shared interest strides
| Microsoft and Bill Gates promising a technical solution that
| gives every potential partner exactly what they want. Content
| owners get a chance to sell everything over again and this time
| they'll be supposedly protected from piracy. Everyone will have
| to buy a new TV with an HDMI connector as well as all new video
| and stereo components of every type, just so long as they, too,
| use strictly HDMI connections. Problems of deliberate signal
| degradation and driver horrors will make all video cards and
| most processors obsolete, so we'll have to buy all new PCs. Mr.
| Gutmann characterizes this lack of backward compatibility or any
| shred of technical elegance as suicidal on Microsoft's part when,
| in fact, it is Microsoft's best imitation of brilliance. Intel and
| AMD love it. ATI and nVidia love it. Thomson and Philips and Sony
| and Matsushita and Samsung and LG love it. Every movie studio, TV
| network, and record company loves it. The only people who don't
| love it are consumers, and neither industry nor government really
| cared much about them, ever.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061229_001403.html

Will Apple Follow Microsoft's Lead to Restrictive DRM?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/06/12/28/0124209.shtml