Re: [News] Wired Magazine on OpenDocument Format

__/ [ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 05 January 2007 20:09 \__

> Gordon <gbplinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>> "Microsoft's campaign against ODF can largely be chalked up to fear of
>>> being left behind by one of its most lucrative customer bases -- the
>>> government and institution sector. In fact, only when Massachusetts
>>> proposed ODF as the default file format for its state agencies in 2005
>>> did Microsoft move to submit Open XML as an alternative standard"
>
>> What I *cannot* understand is, if MS wanted to keep the Ma business, why
>> didn't they just add ODF capability to MS Office, instead of a) initiating
>> the usual mudslinging FUD and b) inventing their own "open" document
>> format?
>
> Not only their own, but god what a mess.
> The whole point of a new format is to remove all the cruft from previous
> versions of an application that no longer apply or are replicated
> elsewhere.
>
> M$ openXML format contains formatting that goes back as far as 20 YEARS
> with very early word and wordperfect versions for some reason.

According to Microsoft-Watch, Word is 18 years old _today_.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes for the new year!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
  8:20pm  up 79 days  6:34,  6 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.11, 0.97