[News] OpenAjax Alliance Still Not Embraced by Microsoft

OpenAjax Woos Microsoft, Plots 2007 Goals

,----[ Quote ]
| As the OpenAjax Alliance nears its one-year anniversary, the
| software developer and vendor consortium is making headway
| toward its goal of standardizing AJAX technologies -- and it
| may even lure into the fold the
| industry's most notorious standards scofflaw, Microsoft.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=196801029&cid=CRNBreakingNews

Old article:

OpenAjax Alliance tackles interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| While the alliance already has an impressive list of members, one
| name remains conspicuously absent: Microsoft.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20060920/tc_macworld/openajax20060920

Related:

Has Ajax Become a Victim to its Own Success?

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenAjax came together in a spate of idealism recalling Linux of 5 - 6
| years ago. The resemblances are more than coincidental. Nobody owns
| either technology, it's accessible, you can get them practically for
| free, and there's still lots of room to do your own thing. Back at
| LinuxWorld 2000, we recalled Linus Torvalds praising "the good
| fragmentation" that came about when open source made the entire
| Linux community one virtual research lab, spawning rapid innovation.
| That's what the OpenAjax folks hope to emulate.
`----

http://www.sandhill.com/opinion/daily_blog.php?id=45&post=208

Firefox 2.0 to Feature New JavaScript 1.7

,----[ Quote ]
| For that reason, the upgrade of the interpreter to version
| 1.7 will be of prime importance, especially as JavaScript
| begins to take on more of the programming features of newer,
| compelling scripting languages such as Python and Ruby.
| "JavaScript 1.7...implements a whole host of new features
| that were really inspired by the takeoff of other languages
| that have become popular, like Python and Ruby," stated
| Schroepfer, "so we take the JavaScript language to that
| next level."
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Firefox_20_to_Feature_New_JavaScript_17/1160795703

Tibco to open source, upgrade AJAX toolkit

,----[ Quote ]
| Tibco Software on Monday is announcing its intention to offer its
| General Interface rich Internet application toolkit via an open
| source format.
|
| [...]
|
| General Interface, unlike rival Adobe's Flex and Flash technology, does
| not require a plug-in. Using a plug-in can present challenges with
| scalability and integration, Hakman said. "We're offering the ability
| to rapidly deploy Web applications that look like desktop applications
| without the extra technology layer of a plug-in to the server," Hakman
| said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20061002/tc_infoworld/82422

The Development Power of Open Source AJAX Tooling

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's goal around ATF is to accelerate the industry's acceptance of
| AJAX by offering it a complete open source AJAX IDE. The project
| including plug-ins to the Eclipse development platform is in
| ongoing development efforts to provide exemplary tools for
| creating and debugging AJAX applications.
`----

http://eclipse.sys-con.com/read/318831.htm

Open Source AJAX Enabled Framework for Building Customized User Interfaces
for JMX

,----[ Quote ]
| The first release of ajax4jmx has been announced... The OS-independent
| software is written in Java, under the GNU Library or Lesser General
| Public License (LGPL).
`----

http://au.sys-con.com/read/317458_p.htm

OpenLaszlo 4.0 Beta 1 With AJAX Support Released

,----[ Quote ]
| It is offered for free under the business-friendly CPL license.
|
| In earlier releases, OpenLaszlo applications were compiled in .swf
| format to run on Adobe's Flash Player. With OpenLaszlo 4.0 Beta
| Release 1 (OL4B1), the option of compilation to DHTML
| (browser-native JavaScript) is added.
`----

http://br.sys-con.com/read/317473_p.htm

IBM Expands Open Source Contributions to Further Enable Web 2.0 Adoption

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Boloker also announced that IBM would make new technology
| contributions to the open source community to speed the adoption and
| growth of Web 2.0 technologies among enterprises.
`----

http://technology-news-earnings.blogspot.com/2006/10/ibm-expands-open-source-contributions.html
http://tinyurl.com/hu6se

Demystifying Open Source Ajax Toolkits

,----[ Quote ]
| Passing over dozens of excellent packages and thousands of perfectly
| adequate solutions, I selected high-profile toolkits supported by the
| most stable organizations: Dojo, Google Web Toolkit, Microsoft Atlas,
| Open Rico and Prototype, Yahoo Ajax Library, and Zimbra's Kabuki
| Ajax Toolkit. Microsoft's Atlas may not be open source -- the
| license includes terms that would rankle a devotee -- but the code you
| create with the system is yours to license as you like, and you'll be able
| to create Atlas apps with few practical restrictions.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/53313.html

http://java.sys-con.com/read/278854_p.htm

        The AJAX Wildfire Spreads: AJAXWorld Conference & Expo 2-4 October

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=811097466&rid=-50

        Sun to shine on AJAX