Re: [News] Novell Takes Another Jab at Red Hat

> Novell CTO Touts 'Mixed Source' Strategy, Takes Jab At Red Hat
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Jeff Jaffe, Novell's chief technology officer, writes that his company
> | is not going to go down the Open Source-Only strategy path, as he says
> | Red Hat has:
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Companies like Red Hat start with Open Source and end with Open Source.
> | That misses the market.
> `----
>
> http://www.crn.com/weblogs/thechart/blog.jhtml?id=196801063
>
> They are now combatting Linux instead of fighting for migrations from
> Windows
> to Linux. That is precisely what Microsoft wants Novell to do. Microsoft
> and
> Oracle (among others) are scared of Red Hat. From this afternoon... some
> more incidents of Novell using FUD tactics against Open Source Linux
> distributors:
>
> Novell Talks Red Hat, Still Sidles With Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ...it seems evident that Novell is after Red Hat's customers while it
> | remains obedient to (READ: scared of) and ?plays nice? with Microsoft.
> | It is a case of Linux fighting Linux, which is precisely what Microsoft
> | sought to achieve when striking this deal, also paying a lump of money
> | for easier persuasion.
> `----
>
> http://boycottnovell.com/2007/01/04/novell-talks-red-hat-still-sidles-with-microsoft/

I find it amusing that the Linux people are so focused on what Microsoft
might be doing rather than on what they themselves need to do to create
interest in their wares. They are often asserting that Microsoft is fearful
and worried and that Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer is unhappily obsessed with
dread that OSS is coming to take them away.  I say that anyone with such
huge boats and nifty cars is unlikely to fear any such Bohemian element.
After all these years of trying, Red Hat (and Novell too) have made no
noticeable dent in the Microsoft markets.  Microsoft is almost twice the
size that it was when Red Hat did its IPO. That's hardly going backwards and
certainly nothing to fear.