Re: [News] Old 486 Box Becomes a Slackware Linux Web Server

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:11:27 +0000

> Building a 486 Linux Webserver
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | My goal is to build a fully functioning webserver(http, ftp, smtp),
> | with Apache, PHP, MySql on a 486 box. Along the way, I want to learn
> | about configuring these components as well as become proficient
> witht | he Linux command line. Eventually when it is configured to my
> | satisfaction, I am going to try to do some performance testing,
> | to see how good a server a 486 is.
> `----
>
> http://frankdzedzy.com/2006/03/06/building-a-486-linux-webserver/

i advise that people test things out on the lowest common denominator.
it teaches good tuning skills.

along the way one learns what options improve performance, without
having to write tests, as things are a little more obvious.

an alternative is to do the setup in a VM, but this is a little less
accurate as other things are effecting system performance.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://s5h.net/u?l
just another python hacker