Re: [News] Larry Lessig Was Wrong on GNU/Linux

> I Blew It on Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | We pro-regulators were making an assumption that history has shown
> | to be completely false: That something as complex as an OS has to be
> | built by a commercial entity. Only crazies imagined that volunteers
> | outside the control of a corporation could successfully create a
> | system over which no one had exclusive command. We knew those
> | crazies. They worked on something called Linux.
> `----
>
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/posts.html?pg=6

This part is just as important:

   The core of this resistance comes from municipalities. Local
   governments are building neutral infrastructures that allow anyone,
   from ISPs to community networks, to use and extend blisteringly fast
   broadband networks. At the end of its first year, a project in
   Sandoval County, New Mexico, for example, already provides many in
   the area with more than 10 times the capacity than anywhere else in
   the US.

   . . .

   Will these grassroots alternatives check the power of the big
   companies? I remain skeptical. But the frantic efforts of traditional
   broadband providers to persuade states to ban municipal broadband
   should give you some clue as to the potential of these services.

--
   Windows XP. When you need a non-deterministic operating system.