Re: [News] "Microzealots" at Digg.com

In article <8y%mh.56468$qO4.4356@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 wjbell <wjbell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > Dawn of the Microzealots
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | We "Real" Diggers had heard about groups offering a "service" to get
> > | your Digg to the front page.
> > | Why not? It makes perfect sense!
> > |
> > | We know Microsoft has a fucking MINT of money, and they have a Massive
> > | 5 year investment in Vista, not mention all the DRM and proprietary
> > | dominance that it?s success would firmly put in place.
> > |
> > | The biggest threat is the truth about Vista getting out.
> > | I may not be able to find a smoking gun, or paper trail, but I know
> > | when some if "fixing" an otherwise democratic process.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.phueque.com/wordpress/2007/01/02/dawn-of-the-microzealots/
> >
> > naio21. Have a look at the profile.
> >
> > For months the guy has been systematically modding hundreds of my comments
> > because I occasionally criticise Microsoft. Then, all my comments were
> > modded down by this user, regardless of the nature of the comments. He also
> > personally attacked me, using vile language... many times in fact.
>
> Since when is your whining about users bothering you on another site [News]?
>
> I especially like this comment:
>
> > For months the guy has been systematically modding hundreds of my
> > comments because I occasionally criticise Microsoft.
>
> Occasionally?!

If you actually examine Digg, what you'll find is that some critical
comments are voted down, and some are voted up.  If you compare them,
the thing that tends to be the determining factor is whether it is
worthless or worthwhile criticism.

For example, the blogger cited above (if I've correctly figured out his
Digg user name), was voted down in one thread for a comment that started
by calling someone else "a fucking liar" and "completely full of shit",
and for another comment that talks about "The Vista sellouts in the
RIAA/MPAA/Homeland Security/ and M$".  Compare to comments that actually
discuss the bad points of Vista DRM--many of those were voted up with
scores in the 20's or 30's.

There was also a comment from Roy in that Digg thread.  It simply
contained two quotes from off-topic articles, with links.  It was voted
down: -21.

Roy could learn something if he'd study the response to his own Digg
comments.  The ones where he just posts quotes and links that are weakly
related, if at all, to the story, maybe get one or two votes up at best,
and often go down.  The few where he actually *contributes* something
get many votes (for example, in the story on Gentoo for PS3, Roy posted
a link to a forum thread with pictures, and left off the usual
anti-Microsoft non-sequiturs that are in most of his posts...that got
voted up +9).

--
--Tim Smith