[News] Installation in Linux is Easier Than in Windows (from windowsitpro.com)

Suhosin: A Guardian Angel for PHP

,----[ Quote ]
| PHP is a hugely popular programming language used on countless Web sites.
|
| [...]
|
| Installing Suhosin requires that you recompile PHP. This is a simple
| task on Linux platforms but might prove more difficult on Windows,
| which doesn't come with a compiler.
`----

http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/pda/Article.cfm?ArticleID=94673&DepartmentID=131
http://tinyurl.com/ymvftz

Related:

                ON PHP AND LINUX PROGRAMMING

PHP Development Becoming Increasingly Popular

,----[ Quote ]
| Web development is becoming a more prosperous industry lately. Since
| the Interet and the computer wave in general is becoming quite
| lucrative, web development is becoming a booming industry in which
| everyone wants to be a part.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/expertarticles/wpn-62-20070102PHPDevelopmentBecomingIncreasinglyPopular.html
http://tinyurl.com/yg5m7y

IBM's Power Architecture Attracting More Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM makes less revenue on servers sold with Linux, compared to
| those that ship with one if its commercial operating systems --
| such as AIX or OS 400 -- but that's offset by the company's
| growing Linux support practice. Linux compatibility also makes
| the company's servers accessible to a wider variety of users,
| such as educational institutions on limited budgets. "We
| benefit from the wider ecosystem that Linux is a part of,"
| says Jollans.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061202/tc_cmp/196601027

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600515

Study: Developers Favor Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "Regardless of what kind of developer you are, you're still trying to
| make a living, and target the operating system that?s controlling the
| market."
|
| However, in the most recent survey, the developers' forecast of their
| target platform has changed. For the first time, these developers said
| that in the next 12 to 18 months they expect to be developing more Linux
| apps than Windows apps.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3645766

TIOBE Programming Community Index for November 2006

,----[ Quote ]
| Java           20.400%
| C              17.198%
| C++            11.055%
| (Visual) Basic 9.470%
| PHP            9.209%
| Perl           6.228%
| Python         3.641%
| C#             3.023%
| JavaScript     2.310%
| Delphi         2.252%
| SAS            2.210%
| Ruby           1.717%
| PL/SQL         1.223%
| D              0.684%
| ABAP           0.637%
| Lisp/Scheme    0.586%
| COBOL          0.564%
| Ada            0.546%
| Pascal         0.516%
| Visual FoxPro  0.431%
`----

http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index

                        ON INSTALLATION

Free Agent: How to Compile Free Software Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me start with a controversial statement: Installing
| new software is almost always easier on Linux than on
| Windows or the Mac OS.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127601-c,linux/article.html

Installing Microsoft Script Debugger in Windows Vista, 10 MB

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/84-web-developers-microsoft-has-no-idea-whats-going-on

Simple Package management with Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Synaptic is a graphical user interface (GUI) for managing software
| packages on Debian-based distributions.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/simple-package-management-with-synaptic-package-manager-in-ubuntu.html

Installation on Vista, OSX, and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Shows software installation (Mozilla Thunderbird) on Vista, OSX,
| and Ubuntu.
`----

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xA7cP-qpdlI

The Thing About Beagle