Re: [News] Another Eclectic Criticism of Microsoft Astroturfing

On 2007-01-02, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 08:57:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Guest Post by Tony Healy: Microsoft sprung
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Microsoft and PR firm Edelman have been sprung in an embarrasing
>>| pseudo astroturf operation intended to promote the forthcoming
>>| operating system Vista.
>> `----
>>
>> http://larvatusprodeo.net/2007/01/02/guest-post-by-tony-healy-microsoft-sprung/
>
><snort>
>
> Every day I read reviews on various web sites like Anandtech, or Toms
> Hardware about free hardware that gets sent to these people.  Sometimes
> it's required they send it back, but most of the time it's not, as these
> people continue to run the hardware in various ongoing tests and
> comparisons against other brands.  This is more common practice than not.

The ones you mention at hardware and review sites are in the business
of reviewing products and hardware, not blogging favorable/unfavorable
reports about a company and its products. The former make a living
reviewing things. The latter are writers of opinion, which may or may
not be based in fact.

These laptops were sent to the latter.

> No reviewer bears any responsibility to the manufacturer for a favorable
> review, whether the product was given or not.  This "social obligation"
> argument is ridiculous, and only excuses bad behavior on the part of
> bloggers and tries to shift the blame elsewhere.

Microsoft tried to cover their blatant attempts at bribery by pulling a
Funkenbusch: they redefined the word "is".

http://www.apcstart.com/4889/microsoft_offers_2_000_ferrari_gifts_to_bloggers

And in some cases they tried to cover it all up by demanding them back.

http://marshallk.com/microsoft-wants-its-laptops-back

Attempted apology accepted. But try a little harder next time, hmm?

--
Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.