Re: [News] Mandriva Chooses Short Lifecycle Path - 6 Months

__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Friday 19 January 2007 22:26 \__

> On 2007-01-19, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Mandriva Linux new life cycle
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Customers and partners can sometimes make a difference. In accordance
>>| with their feedback and Mandriva's analysis of the overall advantages
>>| and drawbacks of the longer development schedule, Mandriva decided to
>>| adjust the life cycle of the consumer oriented products to a shorter 6
>>| month period.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/jan/19/mandriva_linux_new_life_cycle
>
> Microsoft could learn a thing or two from Mandriva. Short lifecycle and
> low consumer cost can bring in a steady flow of bucks.

Money aside, this ensures there's no "development collapse" (Ballmer's words)
such as the one that hit Microsoft in late 2005 ("we had to 'reboot'")

A distributer assembles the components (stable or cutting-edge) he wishes to
have and then tests to see if the integration is a good one. Modularity is
mentioned time and time again as something that Microsoft absolutely must
get in order to quit a cycle of features concession, or a 'big bang'
approach that leads to a RTM that's more akin to beta (tons of bugs).

While Linux strides, Windows devs are more concerned about fixing all the
software and hardware incompatibilities in Vista. It's like an older man who
struggles with injuries while the teenager grows to become a man. or a
pony/stallion and a mare. A racing car from the 1950's against a Honda.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law
 11:00pm  up 93 days  9:14,  6 users,  load average: 1.75, 1.05, 0.95