Re: [News] Linux Gets Support for Yet Another Architecture

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Friday 19 January 2007 18:44 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:34:50 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> On hardware support:
>>
>> Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Architectures:  Linux   Windows
>> |   PC x86        Y       Y
>> |   PC AMD64      Y       Y
>> |   PC IA-64      Y       Y
>> |   Alpha         Y       N
>> |   PPC           Y       N
>> |   PPC64         Y       N
>> |   SPARC32       Y       N
>> |   SPARC64       Y       N
>> |   ARM           Y       N
>> |   HP PA-RISC    Y       N
>> |  Motorola 680x0 Y       N
>> |   MIPS          Y       N
>> |   MIPS (DEC)    Y       N
>> |   PowerPC       Y       N
>> |   IBM S/390     Y       N
>> |   others        Y       N
>> |   Cell          Y       N
>> `----
>
> Now now.  You know full well that Windows, not Linux, has "better hardware
> support".  We're told this constantly by the Wintrolls.  After all,
> Windows runs on a sixth of the platforms, keeps losing support for
> existing devices and can't even install on hardware it used to work on
> just fine.  Obviously, Windows has better hardware support.  Now if we
> could get them to start supporting _more_ hardware, that would mean
> something.

Here's a parable... sort of...

Windows is a baboon is a cage full of chimpanzees (which are more
intelligent, I think).

Linux is a homo sapient in a large zoo, or a safari.

The baboon cannot cope with the real world, but as long as it's surrounded by
stupid moneys (including OEMs) then it can get along.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
Mem:    514480k total,   482212k used,    32268k free,    11388k buffers