Re: [m.p.d.g],[c.o.l.a] Suppress images at server rather than browser?

__/ [ sinbuzz@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 19 January 2007 00:15 \__

> People,
>
> Most browsers allow me to suppress viewing of images when I browse a
> URL.
>
> Can this behavior be duplicated by the server?
>
> I'd like for my server to detect if a user has image viewing turned off
> in his browser.
>
> Then, my server would be loaded a bit less.
>
> -Bob

Hi,

File managers like Konqueror tends to send simultaneous requests for images
and other files in order to create thumbnails and previews (e.g. for
directory contents). I rely one host which supresses this partially by
setting  a limit on the number of simultaneous connections (to 5). While it
makes it annoying to browse (getting warnings), it can sooner or later force
to user to stop fetching image previews over, e.g. FTP (this can be done on
a per protocol basis) or set on a limit on this multithreaded process. I
don't know why you crossposted to these two groups, but FWIW the server in
question runs BSD.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
Swap:  1036184k total,   398188k used,   637996k free,   177668k cached