[News] DRM, Spyware, and Trust

Sony - Busted Again!

,----[ Quote ]
| In December 2005, Sony announced that it would recall all the CD's
| with the rootkit, and furthermore anyone with an impacted CD could
| replace it free of charge. If all of this were the case, we would
| not be seeing the same infection rates as a year ago.
|
| We are seeing the same infection rates for their SunnComm content
| protection. Although not as egregious as the rootkit, it is stills
| pyware that installs without the users knowledge. Despite having
| settled with the attorney generals of most of the states, one
| would think that the infection rate would be decreasing by now.
`----

http://pcpitstop.com/news/rob/rcheng0701.asp

Meanwhile, Microsoft does not even trust itself:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pic.php?pic=images/newspics/sirpnutinstaller.jpg

(more) People are going to lose trust in Microsoft after Vista DRM takes its
toll.

Related:

Sony 'deceived' on music

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony has been convicted of misleading the French public and told
| to pay damages to a consumer watchdog for selling downloadable
| songs that only run on its own music players.
|
| France's Union Federale des Consommateurs (UFC) took Sony's
| French and British subsidiaries to court in February 2005 over
| the music download site Sony Connect. The lawsuit also targets
| Apple, maker of the popular iPod, whose case is expected to
| reach the courts later this year.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21026144%5E15322%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/y7hk7w

Cost analysis of Vista DRM: Part II

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft doesn't merely use DRM. To all intents and purposes it
| is DRM, better known as Digital Rights Management, Digital
| Restrictions Management or or just plain CRAP for Content
| Restriction, Annulment, and Protection, as ZDNet's David
| Berlind called it, eventually deferring to Richard Stallman's
| Cancellation, Restriction, and Punishment. We call it, simply,
| CCG, short for Consumer Control Gear.
`----

http://p2pnet.net/story/10827

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same podcast Gutmann scotched suggestions Microsoft were held
| to ransom by Hollywood;
|
| [...]
|
| The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
| been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
| the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
| DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
| another reason to move to Linux.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html

Peter Gutmann on Vista DRM

,----[ Snippet ]
| Leo: So the insane paranoia really comes from Hollywood, not from
| Microsoft.
|
| PETER: It's hard to tell what goes on inside Microsoft. But if you
| read the technical specs, I think any technical person that reads
| those specs would say this is never going to work, and half of the
| stuff is nuts. On the other hand, it could well be high-level managers
| inside Microsoft who don't understand the technology and who
| completely agree with Hollywood and who think we should do this
| even though other people have told me it's impossible, we're
| going to do it anyway.
`----

http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-074.htm

Apple faces suit over iPod-iTunes link