Re: [News] Apple Shift Gear on DRM as It Dwindles, Angers People

  • Subject: Re: [News] Apple Shift Gear on DRM as It Dwindles, Angers People
  • From: Rick <none@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 06:30:45 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:51:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Apple to open up Fairplay DRM
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Apple plans to open up protected music and movies content bought from
> | the iTunes Store , Tech.co.uk has learned.
> `----
>
> http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-amps-and-receivers/news/apple-to-open-up-fairplay-drm?articleid=394429162
> http://tinyurl.com/2jdo7f
>
> DRM is being conceded quicker than most people imagined. Good news for
> Linux.
>

> Related:
>
> Apple faces suit over iPod-iTunes link
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As if its options woes weren't trouble enough, Apple Computer Inc. said
> | Friday it is facing several federal lawsuits, including one alleging the
> | company created an illegal monopoly by tying iTunes music and video
> | sales to its market-leading iPod portable players.
> `----
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061230/ap_on_hi_te/apple_lawsuits

Alleging an --illegal-- monopoly is one thing. Proving it is another.
First, someone has to prove Apple has a monopoly on something. Then they
have to prove Apple gained it or maintained it illegally. Apple certainly
didn't gain any monopoly with either its iPod or iTunes store illegally. I
don't see how it can be proved a monopoly, if it exists, is being
illegally maintained. I have DLed music from iTunes in both Windows and
Linux (under VMWare) I can burn CDS with it. I haven't yet tried to rip
that stuff, but IIRC, others have. Since I don't have an iPod, I don't
know if you can use Wine to move music to/from iPods.

And... if you don't like Apple's offering, there's Microsft's Zune, and
its tight DRM. There's WalMart, and their tight DRM.

The music companies/RIAA still don't get it. If music is sold at a price
that the market will embrace, music will be sold.

--
Rick