Re: Comment: Microsoft's latest Linux offensive is an enormous blunder

  • Subject: Re: Comment: Microsoft's latest Linux offensive is an enormous blunder
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 02:05:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Wednesday 17 January 2007 11:21 \__

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/102025/comment-microsofts-latest-linux-offensive-is-an-enormous-blunder.html

>>  >>>
>> Sadly, the leopard isn't about to change its spots. On the contrary,
>> it's sharpening its claws by picking a futile fight with the Linux
>> lobby. What started life as a groundbreaking deal between Microsoft and
>> Novell to foster 'broad collaboration on Windows and Linux
>> interoperability and support' has descended into open warfare.
>> <<<
>
> I would not necessarily say the leopard is changing its spots.  What I see
> instead is opportunist action.  IMHO, had their really been reasons for
> lawsuit, we would have seen Microsoft jump into action.  Shoot, was it not
> long ago that they went after a high schooler for having a website name
> similar to Microsoft?
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/19/offbeat.mike.rowe.soft.ap/
>
> | Microsoft takes on teen's site MikeRoweSoft.com
> | Monday, January 19, 2004 Posted: 11:34 PM EST (0434 GMT)
>
> | VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) -- It's Microsoft versus Mike Rowe-soft.
> | Rowe, a 17-year-old high school senior and Web designer from Victoria,
> | has angered the software giant by registering an Internet site with the
> | address www.MikeRoweSoft.com.
> |
> | "Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add 'soft' to
> | the end of it," said Rowe.
> |
> | Microsoft, however, is not amused.
> |
> | It has demanded that he give up his domain name. In November, Rowe
> | received a letter from Microsoft's Canadian lawyers informing him he was
> | committing copyright infringement.
>
> Article is rather humorous on how the Microsoft legal team offered the
> student $10 to give up the site, which is ridiculous.  Student counters
> with a $10K offer.  Then legal team rebuts with a 25 page letter to a 17
> year old.
>
> Perhaps with a sense of cynicism it would not surprise me if CNN removes
> link shortly after this posting, as Microsoft is one of their advertisers.
>
> To make a long story short, now his site is:
>
> http://www.mrstudios.net/
>
> | In Home Computer Repair
> |  Are you fed up with bringing your computer in to get repaired every time
> | something goes wrong? MRStudios will help you out. We will come to your
> | house and fix any problem you have with your computer. This includes
> | troubleshooting, virus removal, spy ware removal and general maintained.
>
> As a kind touch, he offers TLC for those with a suffering Microsoft system.

Damn. I forgot all about that story. But have a look at the latest and see
what Apple Corp. is suing /bloggers/ over... it seems like Linux can never
sue (FSF sends letters), but its monetised users can get sued. To us,
getting sued for anything would be a case of suing the sky.

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
  2:00am  up 91 days 12:14,  7 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.37, 0.44