Re: [News] Peter Gutmann Interview on "Cusotmer Control Gear" in Windows Vista

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:27:08 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Peter Gutmann on Vista DRM
>>
>> ,----[ Snippet ]
>>| Leo: So the insane paranoia really comes from Hollywood, not from
>>| Microsoft.
>>|
>>| PETER: It's hard to tell what goes on inside Microsoft. But if you
>>| read the technical specs, I think any technical person that reads
>>| those specs would say this is never going to work, and half of the
>>| stuff is nuts. On the other hand, it could well be high-level
>>| managers inside Microsoft who don't understand the technology and
>>| who completely agree with Hollywood and who think we should do
>>| this even though other people have told me it's impossible, we're
>>| going to do it anyway.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-074.htm
>>
>> Transcripts and audio.
>
> It makes for some very depressing listening, unless one considers that
> these insanely draconian measures could ultimately be Microsoft's
> undoing, and possibly even Hollywood's.
>
> As they suggested on the show, there really will be a rebellion.

This is all so stupid, really.  What I think they're trying to point out is
that Hollywood is the problem, not Microsoft.  Microsoft is just adding the
options that Hollywood demands to play protected content.  Users would be
furious if they couldn't play such content if they own it.

This is like a bunch of people protesting guns.  They'll show you how a gun
can fire x number of rounds a second, the damage a gun can do, etc.. all
the while ignoring that the gun itself isn't hurting anyone (unless you hit
someone with it).  It's the bullets that hurt people.  The gun is useless
without them.

Now, unlike a Gun, an operating system isn't useless without protected
media, so the OS has a purpose beyond playing such media.  So arguing about
boycotting the OS because it enables protected content is stupid.  Boycott
the protected content.