Re: [News] 2.4 Linux on 386 with 4 Megabytes of RAM

  • Subject: Re: [News] 2.4 Linux on 386 with 4 Megabytes of RAM
  • From: Tim Fairchild <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:59:00 +1000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
7 wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> DeLi Linux: A light Linux distribution, done right
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Perhaps one of the best Linux distributions tailored for older hardware
>> | is DeLi Linux. It's simple, and performs well enough to run on hardware
>> | as old as a 486.
>> |
>> | In fact, DeLi Linux runs on anything better than a 386 with at least
>> | 4MB of memory, though if you have only 4MB, don't expect stellar
>> | performance.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/10/1529228
>

> Trouble is it is difficult to get such old PCs now!!!
> The second hand market like in ebay is shifting 800MHz PCs for
> around 20 pounds and 128Mb RAM for around a pound.

Yes, seriously. P2 350 machines are the current give away model, even p3's.
I don't have a working 486 any more. I did crank up a 4 meg 386 board last
year as a joke, but it didn't do much. Well, it ran, sure, but then I
couldn't find an ISA network card or even any way of hooking it to a HDD.
It had a floppy and a few linux utilities, and that was about it. Made it
difficult to try much :)

I have a collection of pentium (1) class machines that are falling to pieces
and breaking down all the time. Eg my smoothwall box. It was a p166 and has
been going downhill. Died again recently and it's just not a reliable
machine. Replaced it with a K6-450 which probably isn't much better, but
been reliable so far. Likewise my p200 printer server is no longer reliable
and will be replaced.

I have a dual p2-450 box as a server and got that for free. Heck, my
daughter is even using a p4 2.4 gig MB and CPU I got for free after it was
thrown out. I have P3-700 boxes sitting around doing nothing, and they are
becoming the 'old' PC's now.

And this is rural Australia. I'm sure there are even more old boxes
available in places like the US and the UK.