[News] Vista Bloat Makes Thin Clients Attractive

Thin clients return to beat Vista bloat

,----[ Quote ]
| The company said that the latest release of its software, 2X
| ThinClientServer version 4, allowed users to run Vista apps
| without having Vista installed locally. The desktop device -
| a PC or thin-client terminal - could run Linux, and pull a virtual
| Windows desktop over the LAN from a virtual server.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7765

Related:

CLI Announces a $199 Thin Client

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Computer Lab International (CLI), a leading provider of
| thin client and text terminal products, announced a promotional
| offer that lowers the pricing barrier to entry on CLI thin clients.
|
| [...]
|
| Product features include:
| - Cost-effective, easy-to-use, and highly reliable, stable,
| and secure Mandrake Linux operating system
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=245

Thin client drives four displays, runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Igel Technology has released a new thin client device that can
| simultaneously drive four independent digital or analog display screens.
| The fanless PanaVeo thin client is based on an Intel Celeron M processor,
| and is available with Linux, according to the company.

Mini mountable thin client runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| BosaNova has added a low-power, compact, mountable model to its
| line of x86-architecture thin clients. Based on an AMD LX800
| processor, and with optional WiFi, the one-pound design is
| available with Linux as the RBT-802, or as the RBT-820 with Windows CE.

Computers in schools are an environmental time-bomb

,----[ Quote ]
| The solution, according to Sirius Corporation, is a move away from the
| ECTA frameworks to leaner hardware and 'virtualised' network services.
|
| Traditional 'fat-client' workstations should be replaced by low-power
| 'thin-client' terminals. With flat screens and server consolidation
| power consumption could be reduced even further.
|
| [...]
|
| Hardware requirements to run Windows Vista means these consumption
| figures will rise even futher. Schools are using computers as room
| heaters which then need to be cooled using expensive air conditioning
| and Modern thin-client networks could reverse this trend and are
| available from the Open Source community and vendors of proprietary
| software today.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=213

Epatec dwarf PC makes a capable thin client

,----[ Quote ]
| What can you do with a tiny 200MHz computer? We tested such a
| computing dwarf, the Epatec eTC thin client, and found you can save
| big money with this box by using it as a thin client.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/10/1656249&from=rss

Wireless thin client runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]