Re: Vista pushing Linux sales

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:45:16 GMT
Mateus Denigris <Mathew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2007-01-14, ed spake thusly:
> > On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:37:45 +0000
> > Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Same trend in our neck of the woods. New PC's are all dual-boot by
> >> default. It doesn't mean parity. It means a gentle prod for
> >> upgrade & migration -- vocation and a cushion.
> >
> > in a few months time when people are pissed off with the vista
> > service patch upgrades and that sort of shit, it's going to be
> > easier for them to just install linux, rather than install windows
> > and reboot the thing 9 times before it's '-current'.
>
> I was talking to a coworker about windows and Linux yesterday, a
> coworker I have known a long time. She knows my passion for Linux and
> my distaste for microsoft. She always smiles and sometimes makes good
> natured jokes about this because of our work friendship and the
> respect we share. She happened to mention that the reason that
> windows has become so widely used is that people have traditionally
> taken the easy way out and not given any thought to the potential
> negative conseqences of using windows, such as malicious software
> like worms viruses and windows update.
>
> I mention the last because just a couple of weeks before this, a
> windows user at work, a very intelligent man in school working on his
> R.N. , asked me to tell him more about Linux. He was ready to say
> goodbye to windows because it had come time for it's regular
> reinstall-to-make-it-work. And he said, as god as my witness, that
> windows update is a feature he would never again use because it was
> nothing better than a virus itself, screwing up the system whenever
> it was run. I have him ubuntu, he installed it, and the only
> complaint he had was that he needed to have the dvd player library. I
> explained the need for libdvdcss, downloaded it to a usb drive, and
> gave it to him at work. He dosen't use windows anymore, and he has no
> intention of ever using it again. He told me he had given ubuntu to
> another coworker and used the usb library install I gave him. The
> other worker loves it and is moving away from windows. I agree. I
> predict this is a trend that will grow as people become disenchanted
> with Vista and it's replacements.

this is the trend that we are seeing. i think deb based distros are the
way forward. i think suse is trying to get back some of the rpm package
userbase with something new that they're trying. but i think deb is a
very good base for packages.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.linuxwarez.co.uk
just another java hacker