Re: Games developer whines about Vista security restrictions

__/ [ Richard Rasker ] on Sunday 14 January 2007 18:46 \__

> Ah wel, I guess it was bound to happen: even the single redeeming quality
> of Vista - i.e. a significantly improved security - is the subject of
> criticism:
>
> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12314
>
> Would you believe it: The guy whines about the requirement of admin rights
> to install games.
>
> This isn't just pathetic - it lies at the very core of all the rottenness
> Microsoft and their Developers, Developers, Developers, have shoved down
> people's throats the past decade or so.
>
> The old Microsoft-initiated practice of just anyone being able to install
> just anything from just any source has contributed in no small amount to
> the malware crisis we all suffer under today. And this guy complains that
> at long last, Microsoft woke up and did something right for a change?
> Yeah, apparently Vista's LUA system is a pig, a hassle, a major pain
> compared to *nix' smoothly operating permissions system, but at least it's
> a step in the right direction.
>
> Then again, Vista's "parental control" indeed seems to be designed in
> hell, and should better be renamed "Microsoft control", to reflect how
> our friends from Redmond treat all their users: as little children.

The ubergamers will soon find comfort in rootland. One click and all
pseudo-defense is lost. The more you nag the user, the harder you push
towards diabling, ignoring (the 'false positive' factor, like the boy who
cried "wolf"), and canceling the effect of your cardbox shield. So while
Vista might be more secure _in theory_, wait until you see it in actual
users' hands.

Windows Vista Tip: Run as administrator

,----[ Quote ]
| This will make every admin operation prompt you for credentials
| while it is great if you do a lot of remote operations it can
| become tedious if you are performing a lot of local admin operations.
`----

http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/joshs_blog/archive/2006/12/01/windows-vista-tip-run-as-administrator.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/y64c6r

Microsoft: Turn off Vista's UAC to fix problems

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been fairly critical of the new User Access Control (UAC) in
| Windows Vista, as I feel it is too secure to be usable, which will
| probably result in many users and corporations turning off and
| losing out on what could have been Vista?s best feature.
|
| [...]
|
| He recommends turning UAC back on after fixing the problem, but
| when users need to do this more than a couple of times to get a
| usable system, they will just leave it turned off.
`----

http://beta.amanzi.co.nz/2006/11/13/microsoft-turn-off-vistas-uac-to-fix-problems/

'Vista's Account Protection: One Click and It's Gone'

,----[ Quote ]
| One of Vista's big security features is 'User Account Protection'
| (or 'User Account Control') which pops up and asks for user
| authentication before software can make any administrative changes to
| the system. But the TweakVista utility can turn off UAP in one click...
`----

http://securitydot.net/news/exploits/vulnerabilities/articles/2661/news.html

The Truth About User Privileges

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=110225&WT.svl=news1_1

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  9:00pm  up 88 days  7:14,  7 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.28, 0.45