Re: [News] Linux Will Probably Play HD-DVD (and Blu-Ray)

[H]omer wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Decryption Keys For HD-DVD Found, Confirmed
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Here's a link to decryption utility and sleuthing info in the
>> | original doom9 forum thread. The Fair Use crowd has won Round One;
>> | now how will the industry respond?
>> `----
>>
>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/13/181222&from=rss
>>
>> Just like DVD (Jon Loch).... Linux will have no issues.
>
> I found this comment disturbing:

> keys." "You can - all the HDDVD and BluRay players have internet
> connectivity. They can and do download blacklists in 'firmware
> updates'."
>
> So does this mean that all standalone players *must* be connected to
> the Internet? I find that unbelievable!
>
>> Another lost battle for DRM and CSS. Mr. Gates, on behalf of the
>> Bush Administration, is already working toward changing laws around
>> the world---forcing people to accept NSA-infected binaries.
>
> The forces of Evil are marching.

Eventually that method won't work.
All it needs is someone to work out the protocol
and produce a 'router' that directs
nefarious traffic to internal software that then
tells the product what it wants to hear.

The arms race for DRM is doomed to fail.
I for one have no plans to buy anything that
has DRM built in.
The content creators need to talk to their customers and find
ways of making money in a cooperative way that is fair.
All research has shown, the public are prepared
to pay a small amount for content they APPRECIATE.
The content makers don't want to face that reality.