[News] Sun Microsystems Customers Want Linux, Says Market Data

Sun Microsystems, the begrudging Linux vendor

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sun Microsystems marketing machine has been hard at work promoting
| its Solaris 10 operating system as of late, with special events for
| the press and analyst community. But market data suggests that it's
| Linux -- not Solaris -- that Sun customers want.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1238478,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/wlcvk

Related:

OpenVZ ported to Sun Niagara servers

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenVZ, virtualization software that carves a single version of
| Linux into separate containers for different tasks, now isa
| vailable for computers using Sun Microsystems' UltraSparc T1
| processor.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6146348.html

Looking Glass on Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sun's Looking Glass Project for a 3D GUI running on
| Ubuntu Linux (Dapper).
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak

Hey wow! Looking Glass 3D

,----[ Quote ]
| In all it's a fun little trick. The fact that it runs over top of
| an X session is clever, and the fact that it's platform independent
| is a definite plus, too. If this gets the same kind of attention
| that Compiz did, and perhaps a community following, it could possibly
| gain the same kind of fan base as Beryl. Beryl it is not, but like
| Beryl it could be.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2006/12/30/hey-wow-looking-glass-3d/

Review of Project Looking Glass on Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Once installed, it creates an option in the login window as a session.
`----

http://arun-prabha.com/wdpress/?p=551

Sun Microsystems Seems Shady to Investors

,----[ Quote ]
| The returns from investments in open source come from allowing
| potential customers to try the products and then follow up with real
| sales. It attracts customers. Google's YouTube developed on an non-Sun
| platform and they totally missed it. It took Sun 3 years to engineer
| out code they didn't own in order to make Solaris open source. By making
| it open source this should not happen in the future.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061206/21852_id.html?.v=1

Will Sun Use GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, Sun has been engaged directly in the GPL v3 process
| since it started. My colleagues and I attended the launch conference
| in Cambridge, MA at the start of 2006 - I even logged the
| conversation with my friend and collaborator Danese Cooper of Intel.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/about_gplv3

Sun slams Ecma's OpenXML OK

,----[ Quote ]
| "Make sure you follow how well the Novell and Corel implementations
| do," he wrote. "If they falter, watch out for those who try to blame
| those companies or open source itself, when the root of the problem
| may be with the Microsoft Office OpenXML spec in the first place."
`----

http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/news/2170681/sun-slams-ecma-openxml-ok

Sun, Ubuntu maker certifying Linux on x86 servers

,----[ Quote ]
| The certification work is expected to begin with Sun's X4100 and
| X4200 servers and the Ultra 20 and 40 workstations, one source
| familiar with the work said. Later, "Rev F" Opteron-based servers,
| including the X2100 M2 and X2200 M2, will be included.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-6132211.html?part=rss&tag=6132211&subj=news

Sun extends Ubuntu certification

,----[ Quote ]