[News] The Inevitable Move to Multicore Computing (and 64-bit) Could Make Linux a Winner

Where's The Software To Catch Up To Multicore Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
| A look at the Top500 Supercomputer Sites List (www.top500.org) shows
| that a large portion of the technical computing workload has moved
| to commodity Linux clusters: commodity servers, commodity
| networks and commodity storage
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001130

See below for context. 64-bit support is another reason why Linux will be a
winner and I'm adding links to back the claim that Windows is unprepared for
that disruptive move.

Recent:

Quad-core on Vista Home, an Intel exclusive

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the tech sheet on ExtremeTech as well as other
| websites, Vista home only supports one physical processor.
| This means that AMD's 4x4 platform, which uses 2 dual-core
| chips, will not work.
`----

http://clocksarestupid.net/articles/2007/01/21/quad-core-on-vista-home-an-intel-exclusive
http://tinyurl.com/yu2456

SMP and Embedded Real Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Because not all embedded systems vendors will be willing or able
| to create or purchase SMP real-time operating systems, we can
| expect that a number of them will make use of Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| I hope I have convinced you that the -rt patchset greatly
| advances Linux's parallel real-time capabilities, and that Linux
| is quickly becoming capable of supporting the parallel real-time
| applications that are appearing in embedded environments.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9361

Multi-Core Processors Challenging Traditional Software Pricing Models

,----[ Quote ]
| However, Microsoft Corp. hasn't hopped on this train yet; it plans
| to continue to charge per processor for software
|
| [...]
|
| Another strategy for CIOs, suggested Giera, would be to consider
| using open-source software as an alternative to commercial software
| during the transition period.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061009/18110_id.html?.v=1n

FALL IDF - VirtualLogix supports multiple OSs

,----[ Quote ]
| Engineers can use VLX for Network Infrastructure to run multiple
| operating systems on a single multicore processor, hosting both
| Linux and a real time operating system (RTOS) without incurring the
| expense of using separate hardware platforms. It also makes it easier
| to migrate applications from traditional single-core chips to Intel's
| Core 2 Duo E6400 or T7400 chips.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1085526947&rid=-50

On 64-bit (Windows not ready while Linux already thrives in 64-bit):

Next Release of OneCare Won't Support Vista x64

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft announced that it was ready to roll out Windows Live
| OneCare version 1.5 to coincide with the general release of Windows
| Vista, it omitted one important fact: the product will not support
| Vista x64 or XP x64.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/next_release_of_onecare_still_wontsupport_vista_x64.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/26ndme

Microsoft Vista 64 bit is no go in 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Without an exception, they all think it's too early and the drivers
| won't be that polished for 64 bit either. AMD and Intel have CPUs which
| can support 64 operating systems but the drivers are still lame,
| unpolished and slow compared with 32 bit.

Windows XP 64 is crap and things break and printers dont work and
quickbooks doesnt work the list goes on

,----[ Quote ]
| Morale (sic) of the story is - if you are using Microsoft products, stay
| away from the cutting edge - it sucks pretty bad.
`----

http://www.pintmaster.com/20061212/windows-xp-64-is-crap-and-things-break-and-printers-dont-work-and-quickbooks-doesnt-work-the-list-goes-on/
http://tinyurl.com/yguyum

Support for Microsoft Windows XP x64 Not Worth Anything

,----[ Quote ]
| Almost no one is supporting Microsoft Windows XP x64, the 64-bit
| version of Windows XP.
|
| There are no Antivirus programs that work with x64 and most
| applications won't work with x64 (unless they run the crippled
| 32-bit equivalent).
|
| Programs won't install printer drivers because, apparently, no one
| can figure out how to write a 64-bit printer driver.
|
| If Windows XP x64 has this much trouble with basic elements such
| as printer drivers, how can anyone expect the much maligned Windows
| Vista to be of any value?
|
| Frankly, my high opinion of Microsoft is quickly fading away, and
| my shop used to be a staunch Microsoft shop.
|
| Open Source alternatives are looking better and better every
| day.
`----

http://roacm.blogspot.com/

Why There is Better Driver Support in 64-bit
Linux Than 64-bit Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| In the free world of Linux I have a working, usable, fast
| and stable 64-bit operating system. In the secret world of
| Microsoft I will have to return to using the 32-bit version.
| But the question is will I? I think I will stick with Linux.
| It looks like I need to go back on my hands and knees and beg
| forgiveness from my SUSE 10.1 system for every doubting it
| and for my unfaithful fling with Microsoft.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2006-10-17-031-26-RV-HE-MS

Sigrity Supports 64-bit Linux Computing Platforms

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070115/20070115005002.html?.v=1