[News] Windows Vista in Europe Will Get Features Stripped

Microsoft will change Vista to meet EU requirements

,----[ Quote ]
| "Following discussions with European Commission, Microsoft committed
| to make a number of changes to the Windows Vista operating system
| prior to release," the software maker said in a statement, pointing
| to three functions of the operating system: security, search,
| and fixed document formats.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070130/tc_infoworld/85569

They never learn. They arrogantly ignore the court's orders and make changes
when it's too late (e.g. Media Player removed in an edition that nobody
would obtain). See more links at the bottom.

The observations of Vista's launch remain consistent, e.g.:

Vista launches to muted applause

,----[ Quote ]
| MS says the 'Wow' starts now - audience says ssshhh...
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/30/visat_launch_event/

Vista spin unspun

,----[ Quote ]
| PR bunnies are in overdrive as Microsoft launches Vista today.
| Depending on your reading matter of choice, the OS is long awaited,
| late, innovative, bloated, pretty, pretty hopeless and/or the future
| of the IT industry. But regardless of anything I might say, it's a
| fair bet that you've already made your mind up about Vista without
| actually trying it for yourself.
|
| Believing what journalists say is pretty dumb, but believing what
| spin doctors tell journalists to say is crass stupidity. As you'd
| expect, my inbox, along with those of everyone else who has ever
| written the words 'information' and 'technology' in the same
| sentence, is creaking under the weight of Vista-related
| missives this morning.
|
| There are dozens from companies extolling the virtue of Vista
| and pointing out that they have coincidentally just launched
| a new range of exciting and innovative, world-class PCs just
| bursting to run the new OS. Who'd have thought it, eh?

Vista violates rights, damages environment, creates monopoly

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista, Microsoft's latest operating system released today will
| violate your rights, destroy the environment and create a monopoly,
| according to a group in the European parliament.
`----

http://pressesc.com/01170162093_vista_violates_rights_damages_environment_creates_monopoly
http://tinyurl.com/2y26zj

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
| system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
|
| Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
| unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
|
| The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
| you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
| to play fair" in the video content market.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

Green Party slams Microsoft OLPC involvement

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft wants to restrict the greatest profits in the knowledge economy
| to already established software corporations like itself.
|
| "By installing its programs on these laptops Microsoft hopes to create
| market domination and vendor lock in. That is unacceptable bribery.
`----

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2170267/update-green-party-labels

Microsoft rivals file second European complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Microsoft was preventing access to Vista's programming interfaces
| and hindering the development of compatible products, thus repeating
| anti-competitive violations the commission had identified three
| years ago in a previous operating system.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7bAF5B8FB2-488F-4468-80B8-21F6EEE223E3%7d&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2ybdot

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Software manufacturers, citing 2004 European Commission finding,
| contend the operating system violates server laws in Europe.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

'Microsoft broke anti-trust agreement,' prosecutors claim

,----[ Quote ]
| It's claimed Microsoft's engineers used at least 500 undocumented APIs
| to ensure Microsoft's applications worked better with Windows than
| those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/microsoft_breached_antitrust/

FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba

,----[ Quote ]
| 'In the section of the interview from around 33m30s to 39m00 Jeremy
| Allison reports how he was told that the Microsoft team implementing
| SMB2 were ordered to "f**k with Samba".'
`----

http://www.twit.tv/floww14

Microsoft used undocumented Windows APIs - Iowa testimony

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/101947/microsoft-used-undocumented-windows-apis-iowa-testimony.html