Re: Can I get a computer with Linux preinstalled in the U.K ?

__/ [ Spiros Bousbouras ] on Wednesday 31 January 2007 02:47 \__

> Hi folks
>
> Apologies if this isn't the right group for this sort of
> question ; if it isn't I hope someone will suggest one
> that is.
>
> The question is can I get a PC with Linux preinstalled
> in the U.K. ? Dell used to offer them and perhaps they
> still do but I've heard bad things about Dell hardware
> plus I believe they have some deal with Microsoft so
> that the latter receives money every time Dell sells a
> computer even if the computer doesn't have Windows.
> For these reasons I probably want to avoid Dell. Any other
> suggestions ?
>
> An alternative is to build my own computer with choice
> of hardware such that it can run Linux. Can you suggest
> any groups or message boards which discuss how to build
> your own computer ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi,

There are some vendors that sell Linux preinstalled. I got mine (eSys) for
165 quid a year and a half ago, so a search will probably find it. Several
shop stock these. What's more useful is probably the following database:

http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14

Building a computer yourself could be risky or tricky because, unlike the
cases above, you haven't the test and guarantee that each individual part
works hand in glove with Linux.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded
  6:00am  up 8 days  6:18,  6 users,  load average: 1.15, 0.78, 0.37