Re: LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceeding 28-01-07

  • Subject: Re: LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceeding 28-01-07
  • From: Rafael <rafael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:01:10 +0900
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:
flatfish+++ <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
30 Jan 2007, Mark Kent wrote:
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 30

Mummy says I am the most handsomest and clever child.

A forger's mental diarrhoea just snuck in. I did not write this.

Sorry, I'm a bit stressed at the moment with Mrs Mark's illness. I did remove the article, but not the headline in the list.

So what you are saying is that your "Linux News Digest" SPAM posts Consist of only the News that you consider to be news.

Someone forging Roy's ID and posting insulting cr*p, as was done there, quite likely by yourself, is not News in my book.

Interesting how the proponants of Linux, OpenSource and free speech/software etc seem to be the biggest censors of the bunch.

If you think I can censor Usenet, you have a rather higher opinion of me than I have.

I hear FoxNews is hiring, Mark Kent. You seem to have the experience.

Hardly, although I do have a very ill wife, thus I failed to remove the offending headline, as I was not 100% focused.

IMHO, Mark Kent would be an excellent asset addition to the FoxNews staff as indicated by the latest headlines:

Dvorak: Windows Vista's 'Mac'-Ness Might Open Door for Linux Takeover

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 By John C. Dvorak

A number of unique consolidations are happening in the industry just as Microsoft is trying to get a buzz going about Vista.

The timing couldn't be better, but there are bound to be numerous shake-outs and a few collapses. And Microsoft looks vulnerable, too.

The most important event is the formation of the Linux Foundation. This is an attempt by the major players, including Hewlett-Packard, IBM, and Intel, to create a standard Linux and discourage the continued trend toward various distros that are subtly incompatible with each other and certain applications.

<SNIP>

After all, nobody likes the worsening heavy-handedness of Microsoft. In a never-ending paranoid fit over piracy, Microsoft has its operating systems "calling home" too much. And in an attempt to take
over the world with its codec, the company has far too much digital-rights management built into everything.

The most curious aspects of Vista, which may also spell its doom and mark the end of the road for the most popular OS in the history of the world, are its new Mac-like qualities. This phenomenon I find quite fascinating.

<SNIP>

Four of the top ten are Adobe products.

That said, I assume that ports have already been completed on most of
 those programs on the list "just in case."

If so, the tide toward a Linux desktop OS could happen so fast — overnight, in fact — that everyone would be shocked.

Intel is not completely in bed with Microsoft:

http://www.intel.com/business/casestudies/philippines_rural_pc.pdf

Philippines now have their own Filipino language specific distro called
Bayanihan Linux:

The onset of the 21st century has found the Philippines lagging after
its Asian neighbors in computer literacy and information technology
(IT). Faced with the daunting task of bridging over 7,100 islands, the Philippine government has directed the Commission on Information and Communication Technology (CICT) to step up its campaign to promulgate Community e-Centers (CeCs).

The project implementers chose to deploy Bayanihan Linux* OS, a local
version of the Linux* operating system developed by the Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI), and open source software (OSS) applications in the CeCs. To ensure the success of this program, the government also needed a stable and cost-efficient platform that could extend the advantage of the Linux OS and OSS applications; hence the decision to use Intel® architecture-based PCs.

Here is a partial list of deployments, mind you it is only a sampler:

3,500,000 India
   80,000 Extremadura, Spain
   80,000 Générale des Impôts, France
   62,000 Ministry of Equipment, France
   58,000 Berlin, Germany
   32,000 Government, Brazil
   20,000 Indiana Department of Education, US
   20,000 Singapore Ministry of Defence
   15,000 Ministry of Education, Portugal
   14,000 Post Office, Brazil
   12,000 Lower Saxony Tax Authority, Germany
   10,000 Department of Justice, Finland
    4,000 Federal Public Justice Service, Belgium
    2,205 North West Province Schools, South Africa
    1,500 Metropolitan Court, Budapest, Hungary
    1,154 Parliament, France
    1,000 Ministry of Water Resources, Turkey
      600 Central Bank, Turkey
      400 Largo City Offices, Florida
      300 Istanbul City Health Directorate, Turkey
      300 Scientific and Technological Research Council, Turkey
      150 Ministry of Finance, Macedonia
3,914,609 Subtotal, there are many, many, more ….

Is there anything unique about Vista's 3D desktop?  Linux already has one:

http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

--
Cheers, Rafael