[News] Italy Chooses OpenDocument Format

Italy adopts OpenDocument as a National Standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Italy has adopted The OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC 23600) as a
| national standard. The decision was made by UNI, the Italian
| Organization for Standardization, which is responsible, under
| appointment from the Italian Government and the EU, to develop,
| approve and publish technical standards in all economic sectors
| (industry, trade and services) except for electric and
| electro-technical ones.

The official announcement is in Italian.

ODF Can Handle Anything MSOffice Throws At It

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| "Becta is therefore calling on the ICT industry to ensure that computers
| for the education marketplace are delivered with a choice of Office
| productivity suites available, which ideally should include an open-source
| offering.
| The ability for schools to exercise choice is further restricted by
| interoperability difficulties and Becta is calling on Microsoft to improve
| its support for the ODF interoperability standard.

How Vista Lets Microsoft Lock Users In - Cory Doctorow

The lock-out begins for Office Mac users

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is calling these "Microsoft Office Open XML Formats", but
| Office for Mac users will find them far from "open". In fact, they
| can't read them.
| Take Word 2007, for example. By default it saves documents in the
| new *.docx format. Trying to open one of these in Word for Mac 2004
| yields the following garbled mess

Microsoft used undocumented Windows APIs - Iowa testimony

,----[ Quote ]