[News] Another Group Criticises Microsoft's Fast-tracking of OOXML

FFII opposes Fasttrack adoption of Microsoft OOXML format as ISO standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The FFII has several concerns with the proposed standard. OpenXML
| relies on undisclosed patents, and undisclosed or incomplete
| licensing terms that make any independent reimplementation
| impossible or heavily risky. It obliges implementors to
| reverse-engineer the behavior of old closed Microsoft
| applications and formats. It uses non-standard formats for
| languages and dates, and specifies known bugs, such as
| treating 1900 as a leap year.
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/FFII_opposes_Fasttrack_adoption_of_Microsoft_OOXML_format_as_ISO_standard
http://tinyurl.com/2qxk7p

This is not the first complaint. Two more bodies have already complained (ref
below).

So let's see what we have in this standard:

        * Bugs are part of the standard
        * Support for different version of Office (history lesson)
        * Proprietary 'extensions'
        * Closed specs
        * Incomplete specs
        * 6,000 pages (as opposed to just 600 that are complete and
          self-contained)

Recent:

Open source lobby fury over Office format fast-track

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/102898/open-source-lobby-fury-over-office-format-fasttrack.html
http://tinyurl.com/37vouh