[News] PDF Becoming an Open ISO Standard, Defending Linux

PDF to become an open, ISO standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe Systems Inc. on Jan. 29 announced that it has released the
| full PDF (Portable Document Format) 1.7 specification to AIIM,
| the Association for Information and Image Management. AIIM, in
| turn, will start working on making PDF an ISO standard.

Another formats war. While unable to compete on merits, there's a strategy
which involves locking the competition out, using small enhancement as an
excuse (e.g. HD, OOXML, XAML, DirectX, ActiveX, WVA/WMV). As vain as Adobe
may be, better the devil that we already know. At least it's cross-platform.

Related:

Adobe could still sue Microsoft: paper

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061118/tc_nm/adobe_microsoft_dc

Windows Vista Product Guide: Free to Download, $149 to Read

,----[ Quote ]
| XPS
| What the heck is XPS? I hadn't heard of it before now, (a quick
| Google tells me XPS is Microsoft's proprietary rival to PDF)
| but apparently you need a special reader for it (which is
| kindly enough built into Vista, but nothing else).
`----

http://itsvista.com/2006/12/windows-vista-product-guide-free-to-download-149-to-read/

Software rivals say Microsoft's Vista illegal in Europe

,----[ Excerpt ]
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/26/news/international/bc.vista.microsoft.eu.reut/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote