[News] Proof That Microsoft Deliberately Snubs ODF Support in Office

A source says:

"Microsoft has said that it can't work with ODF format, because doing so
would break Microsoft Office."

Introducing ACME 376

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though it is true that the ODF Plugin for MS Office does only
| exist in advanced proof-of-concept form, this kind of reaction
| disappoints and sorely rankles on the personal level (not when
| coming from Microsoft .Net programmers, for example, but when
| coming from the open source or ODF communities who should
| better ken the levers of oppression; and, for example, the
| pro-open source companies who are either AWOL completely if
| not actively derrogatory of the Foundation's plugin solution
| either out of fear, greed, ignorance or a potent cocktail of
| all three). We would expect -- and I say here, damand -- more
| flexibility of imagination under the circumstances that a
| good, working solution for Massachusetts and Europe would
| help significantly to turn the tide against entrenched
| bad habits that are very hard to change.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/01/introducing_acm.html

Related:

Taking Microsoft's ODF Plugin for a Spin... Splat

,----[ Quote ]
| If you were thinking that Microsoft's newly announced ODF plugin means
| you could just stay with Microsoft and still easily save documents as
| ODF, which is I'm sure what they hope you are thinking, you need to see
| this.
|
| [...]
|
| So the question to ask is why Microsoft integrates ODF in a way which
| treats it as a 2nd class citizen, treated less favorably than even Plain
| Text?

| I created a .doc in Word 2007. I used a variety of fonts and sizes of fonts
| to create it. I saved it as .doc, .rtf and .docx. I then opened, or tried
| to, the resultant files in OpenOffice Writer. The .doc opened fine and
| displayed the document with the formatting as I had made it on Word. The
| .rtf file opened as expected and the .docx wouldn't open at all. I
| expected this to be the case.
|
| I then saved the .doc as an .odt file in OOWriter and transferred it to
| the Windows machine and opened it via the Word2007 odt addon. After Word
| had converted it, it opened in Word and looked exactly the same as when
| I created it. I then saved it back to .doc (save as .odt is not working
| (at present?). I then transferred the saved .doc back to the Linux box
| and opened it in OOWriter and all the formatting had gone.
|
| This is a stupid dirty trick (as far as I can tell). It basically means
| that Word (as it stands now) is deliberately stripping away the
| formatting in .odt files when it saves them to .doc (currently the
| only format that OOWriter can work with from Word). It's not that
| Word can't render the formatting from an odt file, just that it strips
| it away when saving back to .doc. Bear in mind that this part of the
| process does not require the odt addon.

List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Erik Funkenbusch (formerly an anti-OS/2 astroturfer)
        flatfish+++ (Gary Stewart)
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        amicus_curious
        OK
        DFS
        Lintard
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with grain of salt. Microsoft
has already been caught paying forum members to spread lies about rivals,
e.g. http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html
Suggested filter list: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/