[News] Intel/IBM Transistor Breakthrough Confirmed to Have Passed Linux Test, Officially Announced

[It's a big story today]

Intel's Penryn @ 45nm

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel has just announced a significant breakthrough in its
| transistor technology used in its next generation 45nm Penryn processors.
|
| [...]
|
| During a press briefing earlier today, Intel stated that the very
| first 45nm processor was already up and running and used by the
| Intel validation team to successfully boot a test system into
| Windows Vista, Windows XO, Mac OS X and Linux.
`----

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI2OCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Recent (good, bad, and ugly):

Intel's Upcoming 45nm Penryn Processor has Booted 4 Major Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| During today's fourth quarter earnings announcement, Intel CEO Paul
| Otellini confirmed our story from last week, when he announced that
| Intel has already booted 4 operating systems (Windows Vista, XP,
| Linux and Apple Mac OS-X) with their upcoming 45nm processor.
`----

http://legitreviews.com/news/3079/

Intel boosts Linux virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Dike said Intel introduced VT extensions to the x86 architecture to
| support "fully virtualized guest contexts" with all the processor's
| instructions being available. This allows unmodified Linux kernels
| to run virtualized on one processor.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;842748141;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

Intel: Open source drew us to Solaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source was behind Intel's decision to add Solaris to its list
| of supported operating systems, according to a top official from
| the chip giant.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61983979,00.htm

Intel: Only "Open" for Business

,----[ Quote ]
| These vendors often want a quiet private discussion, because in a
| quiet private discussion they can continue to dismiss the requests and in
| the end do absolutely nothing. They do not want a noisy public
| discussion, because then they look bad. But they DESERVE TO LOOK BAD,
| because they are being bad to those who bought their hardware!
|
| [...]
|
| By withholding, Intel is being an Open Source fraud.
|
| [...]
|
| So let's win back the rights to run the hardware we purchased.
|
| Please feel free to let other open source communities know about this
| matter. Thank you.
`----

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710&mode=expanded

EU antitrust experts seek charges vs Intel-source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070117:MTFH01539_2007-01-17_10

--
List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Erik Funkenbusch (formerly an anti-OS/2 astroturfer)
        flatfish+++ (Gary Stewart)
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        amicus_curious
        OK
        DFS
        Lintard
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with grain of salt. Microsoft
has already been caught paying forum members to spread lies about rivals,
e.g. http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html
Suggested filter list: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/