[News] Vista DRM Will Drive Many Users to GNU/Linux

Windows Vista - How Would You Like to Be Screwed Today?

,----[ Quote ]
| I've heard about Windows Vista's strong DRM, but I thought it was
| basically for multimedia playback and DRM'd documents.
|
| However, the truth is worse.
|
| [...]
|
| All this adds up to make using Vista, look much more like a Faustian
| bargain, giving in your freedom and rights to Microsoft for
| "premium content" that you probably won't be able to play on
| your hardware anyway.
|
| Hopefully hardware manufacturers will put their foot down, and
| tell Microsoft "no way". And the media companies should really
| consider if they want to put all their trust into Microsoft
| allowing them to run their premium content on Vista as "once
| this copy protection is entrenched, Microsoft will completely
| own the distribution channel". And Microsoft has shown that
| when it is a monopoly, it certainly likes to abuse that power.
|
| Lots of home users are also going to be bitten by this - and
| will warn others away from Vista. They will look at other
| solutions, such as Linux which will allow them to play
| whatever they want, however they want.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux is becoming a smarter alternative for the desktop
| every day now. And when people have to move from Windows
| XP, it is very likely we will see a massive uptake of
| Linux. Virtualisation and emulation technology will also
| make it far easier to deal with the issue of legacy
| windows programs.
`----

http://www.jethrocarr.com/index.php?cms=blog:20070124

Related:

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same podcast Gutmann scotched suggestions Microsoft were held
| to ransom by Hollywood;
|
| [...]
|
| The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
| been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
| the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
| DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
| another reason to move to Linux.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html

Sun Blogs: Comments on Peter Gutmann's Vista paper

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I agree with Gutmann that what is being attempted is
| fundamentally impossible - although I don't agree with all the
| consequences he draws. Further, I believe that software vendors
| have no right to dictate what hardware vendors produce. I also
| must say that Note C made me grin, being Gutmann's view on DRM.
|
| Finally, I can't see any Sun hardware ever being certified to
| run Vista, since the apparent need (as described in the article)
| to keep hardware details secret goes against our philosophy
| (even SPARC is famously open-source, see VHDL for a SPARC v8
| implementation and our own Verilog of the T1 SPARC v9).
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/davew/entry/comments_on_peter_gutmann_s

Microsoft spins DRM tale in 'blog'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft can't come clean, can't talk honestly, and won't do
| anything to protect its customers. Keep that in mind when you
| are buying your next PC, if you buy one with Vista pre-installed,
| you are funding the very people who are actively hurting you.

List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Erik Funkenbusch (formerly an anti-OS/2 astroturfer)
        flatfish+++ (Gary Stewart)
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        amicus_curious
        OK
        DFS
        Lintard
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with grain of salt. Microsoft
has already been caught paying forum members to spread lies about rivals,
e.g. http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html
Suggested filter list: http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/