Re: Todd's Blog: 1st Win95 User Now Dual Boots Linux!

__/ [ Kier ] on Saturday 27 January 2007 20:38 \__

> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:24:19 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:20:09 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>

>>> I never bought any piece of S/W in my entire life
>>
>> snip--------------
>>
>> No doubt................
>
> Yeah, there's so much great free stuff out there, who nees to buy
> overpriced junk? I've always used free office suits like OO.org in
> preference to MS's offering (though I did like WordPerfect). And there are
> some really nice free-for-personal-use text editors out there, too. WinAmp
> for music. GIMP for images, or irfanview.
>
> Only thing I've bought for Windows was Nero.

The  whole  scenario demonstrates why money should  be  make
through  services, not acquisition licenses, which also make
closing  of  the  source code a  requirement  (this  reduces
quality and freedom... can't trust the code, can't patch it,
can't  modify it). Once piece of software which I see people
foolishly  pay  for is AV software (should not be needed  in
the first place).

Software  used to be open and often free as well. Those  who
chose to close is are anti-consumer folks. We see this trend
repeating  itself at data-level, not application-level. It's
called  DRM. Restriction and control. Consumer control gear.
Milk  money  by  forced upgrades, so the user  is  hopeless,
defenceless  and  ultimately  suppressed  to  the  point  of
bitterness.  People can't be blamed for all that  alienation
when  a  monopoly uses its crime as a reason and  excuse  to
proving  poor software, poor support, and high prices  (both
required hardware and software).

CSS = control freak. Vendor demands from customer.

OSS = freedom and choice. Customer demands from the vendor.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
roy      pts/4                         Sat Jan 27 19:17 - 19:18  (00:00)