Re: Linux Desktops making progress.

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Saturday 27 January 2007 00:26 \__

> An interesting survey on the OSDL Desktop effort.
>
> http://developer.osdl.org/dev/dtl/2006survey-analysis.pdf
>
> More than 1/2 the respondents indicated that they had already deployed
> Linux Desktops.
> Another 20% have either already started deploying Linux desktop, or
> have planned it.
> And 10% plan to deploy to technical users.
> Finally, 10% have plans to deploy, but are waiting for certain
> applications to be ported.
> Only 17% had no plan to deploy Linux desktops.
>
> To be fair, the respondents ranged from independent consultants to
> employees of huge companies, but when 83% of your respondents have some
> plan to implement Linux at some point, it's pretty obvious that things
> have changed radically since 1997, when only 17% of all CIOs even know
> they had Linux servers in their server rooms.
>

> For 93% Security was a Significant factor or important consideration.
> For 90% Manageability was important.
> For 83% TCO was the important.
> 75% were just unhappy with the existing operating system (Windows).
> 64% had Employees who were requesting Linux (user demand).
>
> Most Linux users, however, still plan to run Windows applications on
> Linux desktops.
> 66% were willing to avoid Windows applications, and use equivalent
> Linux applications.
> 44% were planning to use virtualization.
> 44% were planning to use WINE or Crossover to run Windows on Linux
> directly.
> 49% planned to use browser based applications.
> Only 14% had no plan to run Windows applications at all.
>
> What was interesting was the big Desktop platform.
> Ubuntu led the field at 49%
> SUSE (Open and SLED) was only 40%
> Red Hat (RHEL and Fedora) was 39%
> (Users were allowed to make multiple selections).
>
> I was surprised to see that Linspire was very small, less than 1%,
> which may be
> why they think that only 7 million users use Linux exclusively.  :-D
>
> Looks like the highest priority was Device drivers (Open Source),
> Wireless, and Cross Distribution Standards such as LSB-3.
>
> This is a pretty dramatic shift in a rather short period of time.

Web statistics are a funny thing. Given a budget large enough, a company can
choose tom ignore certain parts of the world (or Web) and present lies, damn
lies, but never statistics that are don't fit The Big Lie.

http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/sites/feb1-24.jpg

One of the smaller sites...