[News] Group Predicts Growth for (Linux) Mainframe

Butler Group Predicts IBM Mainframe Growth in Vertical and Emerging Markets

,----[ Quote ]
| Butler Group's "The King is Dead -- Long Live the Mainframe"
| article specifically points to WebSphere Application Servers on
| System z as enhancing the ability to utilize SOA and Linux on the
| mainframe in providing virtualization tools for a single
| computing platform.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070126/0207898.html

Yesterday:

IBM and Oracle Agreement Strengthens Mainframe Computing, IDC Says

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM and Oracle announced this initiative to collaborate on the sales
| and marketing of a series of enterprise business solutions with
| Oracle applications and technology for Linux on System z on
| October 24, 2006. It targets the business requirements of large
| and medium size enterprise customers and meets growing marketd
| emand, complementing a series of investments IBM and Oracle have
| made in support of Linux as an enterprise application platform.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=207879

Related:

Virtualization Gets A Grip In 2006

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to Linux servers, a few months can make a whole
| lot of difference. Earlier this year, Red Hat, Novell, and
| most major Linux vendors were doing their best to fend off
| Windows Virtualized Server by getting their own virtualization
| offerings out the door first.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6344/1/

Mainframe in comeback mode

,----[ Quote ]
| We have over 1,300 independent software vendors who work with the
| Mainframe. We have 300 to 400 in the Linux arena. We have many
| business partners and some integrators too, that we work with.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2007/01/01/stories/2007010100110300.htm

IBM Mainframe Offers Unmatched Security and Power Efficiency, Analyst Says

,----[ Quote ]
| On the open source front, the report specifically cited IBM's
| continued efforts to support Linux workloads on the mainframe
| with the Integrated Linux Facility. The report also touted IBM's
| successful developer ecosystem and the rapid growth of Linux on
| the mainframe in large enterprises.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061229/0198717.html

Linux drives a mainframe revival

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux may not be everyone?s idea of a mainframe operating system,
| but for a growing number of large and medium-sized businesses
| the synergy between Linux and big iron is the solution to as
| ignificant problem.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Feeds/RSS/Articles/2006/11/16/219927/Linux+drives+a+mainframe+revival.htm
http://tinyurl.com/tdjgr

Linux-on-Mainframe Apps Up 100%: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM recently reported a 390% jump in mainframe sites running Linux.
| It says more than 60% of its mainframe revenue is now coming from
| new workloads, with approximately 20% of the revenue and 30% of the
| MIPS coming from Linux customers, which is what has the ISVs
| interested.
`----

http://issj.sys-con.com/read/317754.htm

IBM Mainframe Supports University of Toronto's Expanding Student Body

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061011/0171496.html

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/

--
List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Erik Funkenbusch (formerly an anti-OS/2 astroturfer)
        flatfish+++
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        OK
        DFS
        Lintard
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with grain of salt. Microsoft
has already been caught paying forum members to spread lies about rivals,
e.g. http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html