Re: [News] Despite Beating Estimates, Microsoft Profits Down $1,000,000,000

__/ [ Mr. Wan ] on Saturday 27 January 2007 02:51 \__

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:17:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Feels the Pain of Vista's Delay and Losses in Search
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | So now we know how much the delay in Microsoft's (MSFT) launch of
>> | its Vista operating system cost the company: $1 billion in
>> | profits, and $1.64 billion in deferred revenues.  (Profits
>> | declined in just-announced quarter to $2.6 billion, from $3.6
>> | billion last year).  The question now is whether Microsoft can
>> | make it up in short order.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.business2.com/business2blog/2007/01/vista_delay_low.html
>>
>> Linux is where the increased profits are at (see below). Growth
>> opportunity and innovation requires reuse, interoperability, and
>> cooperation.

> 'He added that Microsoft expected to offset lowered Xbox sales
> expectations with better sales of higher-margin premium versions of
> its Windows operating system.'
>
> Microsoft funds all their loss making ventures from the exorbitant
> prices they charge on Windows and Office. Do any other Microsoft
> divisions make a profit?
>
> I'm sure Vista adoption is going to be pathetic. The pressure on OEM's
> to supply Vista on new PC's will no doubt be huge but when users see
> the price (HW+SW) I'm sure many will ask for XP.
>
> Vista on the company desktop is just a no go for the foreseeable
> future.
>
> Microsoft are in serious trouble. Too little and so very late.

Office accounts for 80% for the revenue in one division, which explains why
they play hardball (if not bribe) in order to get its incomplete worddump
approved as a 'standard'. As for other divisions:

How Much is Too Much?

,----[ Summary ]
| Microsoft says it will stick with Xbox. But with years of heavy losses
| behind it, the pressure's on for the gaming division to make good
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/oct2006/id20061013_283856.htm?campaign_id=rss_topStories
http://tinyurl.com/yxdr4j

Microsoft stoic despite massive losses

,----[ Quote ]
| If you were to judge by the PR rhetoric, you'd think the 360 was
| an unstoppable commercial juggernaut. As usual though, PR lies.
`----

http://www.gamerscan.com/articles/06/10/09/microsofts.massive.losses/

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft profit on slide

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21109542%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Yes, I know, but does it run Linux?"
Cpu(s):  24.2% user,   3.0% system,   0.8% nice,  72.1% idle