Re: NTFS support moving right along

  • Subject: Re: NTFS support moving right along
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:56:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Handover Phist ] on Friday 26 January 2007 23:17 \__

> On 2007-01-26, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>    <http://www.ntfs-3g.org/>
>>
>>    The NTFS-3G driver is an open source, freely available NTFS driver
>>    for Linux with read and write support. It provides safe and fast
>>    handling of the Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 and
>>    Windows Vista file systems. Most POSIX file system operations are
>>    supported, with the exception of full file ownership and access right
>>    support.
>>
>>    . . .
>>
>>    The driver currently is in BETA status, which means that no data
>>    corruption or loss has been reported during ordinary driver use, nor
>>    found in our extensive quality testing before release of the latest
>>    version, however we are aware of certain usability issues and driver
>>    limitations which are all documented and planned to be resolved in
>>    the future. It may be revealing about the high reliability of the
>>    NTFS-3G driver that an increasing number of users find hidden
>>    hardware faults, and several Microsoft released NTFS bugs during
>>    NTFS-3G testing and usage.
>>
>> Naw, say it ain't so!
>>
>> Anyway, you do need to install the FUSE kernel module to use this
>> software.
>
> And all are available in the Debian repositories.

Enjoy it while it's maintained. NTFS is a dying breed that won't be prevalent
for many years to come. WinFS is just an abstraction, so it will suffer from
the same deficiencies such as fragmentation.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
roy      pts/4                         Fri Jan 26 04:29 - 04:54  (00:24)