[News] IBM Donates Privacy Software to Open Source Community

IBM donates new privacy tool to open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has developed software designed to let people keep personal
| information secret when doing business online and donated it to
| the Higgins open-source project.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6153625.html

Related:

Liberty Alliance, Microsoft discuss identity protocols

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have finally put down the boxing gloves and are trying to figure
| out how to solve our customers' problems," said Roger Sullivan, the
| newly elected president of the Liberty Alliance and vice president
| of Oracle's identity management section.
|
| The Liberty Alliance, whose participants include HP, Sun and IBM,
| backs the ID-Web Services Framework (ID-WSF), a set of protocols
| for Web services. Microsoft supports another set, WS-Star.
`----               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/011007-liberty-alliance-microsoft-discuss-identity.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

IBM renews Microsoft rivalry with new Web Software

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Lotus unit will introduce on Monday a set of social networking
| services that functions like a MySpace for office workers and which
| analysts say marks a renewed challenge to Microsoft Corp.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070122:MTFH71974_2007-01-22_05-00-15_N21365125&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/3yaabd

IBM project aims to help blind use ODF applications

,----[ Quote ]
| APIs will faciliate visuals to be interpreted by screen readers
| that reproduce information verbally
|
| [...]
|
| The technology is based on interfaces IBM originally developed with
| Sun Microsystems Inc. to make programs on Java and Linux platforms
| accessible to the blind.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/12/13/HNibmblindodf_1.html

The Best Blue Chip for 2007: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2006/commentary06111416.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y
http://tinyurl.com/ydo29n

,----[ Quote ]
| "We've moved past the ideology," said Sutor, in Salt Lake City
| Thursday to attend graduation ceremonies at Neumont University."
| Many people have figured out that there are a number of ways tom
| ake money from the 'open source' model."
|
| [...]
|
| The litigation has been characterized as part of a proxy war being
| waged by Microsoft against Linux, seen as a prime challenger to
| Windows. Microsoft has been a prime funding source for SCO, but
| earlier this month stunned open-sourcers by announcing a development
| pact for Novell's Suse-brand of Linux.
|
| IBM is watching the apparent about-face with interest - and
| skepticism. "I don't see [Microsoft] doing very much yet for open
| source that isn't at arm's length," Sutor said. "Possibly this is
| a way of perpetrating previous [anti-Linux] strategy while
| superficially looking better."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4679245?source=rss

Is IBM open source's little friend?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...That is because one of the big post-Linuxworld features is all about
| IBM, and how IBM is going to use open source to beat big, bad Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| The story, from Motley Fool, says IBM is going to get Linux running faster
| on its proprietary chips, go after smaller customers using the cost
| benefits of open source, and push an "open health care framework" to
| push computers into smaller medical offices.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=758

Ballmer rattles intellectual property saber at Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Besides, does Microsoft think IBM will stay on the litigation sidelines,
| if it decides to play the patent card? IBM makes a lot of its billions
| from Linux, and I can't see Big Blue paying Microsoft off to continue
| using its favorite operating system.

IBM: You Don't Need a Computer to See Its Growth Potential -- Barron's

,----[ Quote ]
| Palmisano: "We have a top share in servers and Linux, No. 1 in blade
| servers, which is a huge growth area... No. 1 in supercomputing, No. 1
| in SOA... We're No. 1 in middleware... IBM is a stronger company today
| than it was four years ago, with stronger margins, solid cash and
| earnings." Barron's: You don't need a computer to know what that
| trend could do for IBM's shares.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061203/21632_id.html?.v=1

IBM's Power Architecture Attracting More Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM makes less revenue on servers sold with Linux, compared to
| those that ship with one if its commercial operating systems --
| such as AIX or OS 400 -- but that's offset by the company's
| growing Linux support practice. Linux compatibility also makes
| the company's servers accessible to a wider variety of users,
| such as educational institutions on limited budgets. "We
| benefit from the wider ecosystem that Linux is a part of,"
| says Jollans.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061202/tc_cmp/196601027

IBM Achieves Major "Linux on POWER" Milestone

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061201/0190250.html

--
List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        flatfish+++
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Erik Funkenbusch
        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        OK
        DFS
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with a barrel of salt.