[News] The Dangers of Proprietary Identity Management

IBM's Invisibility Cloak

,----[ Quote ]
| Why would for-profit companies, like IBM and Novell, offer a service
| for free? In part to block Microsoft, which recently developed its
| own ID management system called CardSpace. Originally name
| "InfoCard," Microsoft's new ID system gives users a common ID
| that will work across any Windows application. Eventually,
| Microsoft hopes to expand beyond Windows applications into
| adoption by banks, credit cards and online retailers. CardSpace
| comes including in Vista, Microsoft's new operating system.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/25/ibm-identity-security-tech-security-cx_ll_0126ibm.html?partner=yahootix

Being discriminated (or locked out) for your operating system choice.

Only yesterday:

The cost of monoculture

,----[ Quote ]
| Korea will only get beyond this problem by 1) applying Korean laws
| on open standards to the certificate authorities, 2) reassigning new
| certificates which work with open web standards to all Koreans, 3)
| reprogramming all Korean websites to support 128 bit SSL which will
| allow for a heterogeneous marketplace of operating systems and web
| browsers. This is a herculean task and thus Korea stays hostage to
| Redmond.
|
| Fascinating history. Unintended consequences and de-facto monopolies
| create costs too high to calculate and must be borne without question.
`----

http://www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/2007/01/26/00h53m55s#003095

Related:

Liberty Alliance, Microsoft discuss identity protocols

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have finally put down the boxing gloves and are trying to figure
| out how to solve our customers' problems," said Roger Sullivan, the
| newly elected president of the Liberty Alliance and vice president
| of Oracle's identity management section.
|
| The Liberty Alliance, whose participants include HP, Sun and IBM,
| backs the ID-Web Services Framework (ID-WSF), a set of protocols
| for Web services. Microsoft supports another set, WS-Star.
`----               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/011007-liberty-alliance-microsoft-discuss-identity.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Snubbing standards and interoperability, as usual.

--
List of candidate Microsoft astroturfers (directly or indirectly paid by
Microsoft to post in this newsgroup):

        flatfish+++
        Damian O'Leary (AKA Hadron Quark)
        Erik Funkenbusch
        Larry Qualig (former Microsoft employee)
        Scott Nudds (AKA Vistaking)
        Nedd Ludd
        Tim Smith
        OK
        DFS
        Terry
        Ana Thema

Take everything posted by the individuals above with a barrel of salt.