Re: [News] Fixing Windows Security Problems, By Rebooting

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Smart Restart, security solution for home users
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Smart Restart will give the user a clean, pristine computer every
> | time they reboot. While other security companies are devising new
> | methods to restrict, alert, or even sometimes provide a false risk
> | report steering users away from a site, Smart Restart allows the
> | user total freedom to surf without concern of lurking malware.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | When protection is turned on, any changes made to the system's
> | hard drive configuration are wiped clean by simply rebooting the
> | computer. When the computer is rebooted, it is restored to its
> | original configuration.
> `----
>
> http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=4653
>
> A bit radical, no?

Not in the Windows world, no.

When I used the Cybercafà in Schiphol airport a few years ago, they
had a system where each time a user logged off, a Norton Ghost image
was restored to the disk.

I never gave it much thought at the time, but in retrospect, it is a
particularly retarded and wasteful way of "cleaning house". In that
situation, a thin client system; or an immutable system disk (such as
a LiveCD), combined with a ram based scratch disk; seems a far better
way to go.

> Going back in time rather than fixing the problem.

Disk Imaging is for bare metal backup and restore (aka Disaster
Recovery), *not* for compensating for poor security.

But that's Windows all over, isn't it; build a straw house, then when
it blows over, just build another one ... fairly typical of our
"throwaway" society.

Microsoft is like the Burger King of the software industry, except
Microsoft's products contain more cheese.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "We shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support
| any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the
| success of liberty." - John F. Kennedy
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
 07:02:40 up 68 days, 23:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.25, 0.21