Re: [News] Linux in China is Booming with 9.8% Market Share

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
China's Linux industry booms, despite problems

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Lu Shouqun, China's sale of Linux was 175 million yuan
| ($21 million) in 2005, increasing 81% compared with the previous year.
| The sale of other open source software that year was 160 million
| yuan ($19 million). In the operating system market, the share of
| Linux increased from 4.2% to 9.8% between 2003 and 2005.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/19/1917209&tid=53

I think the main driver right now is new PC sales are on the rise. MS revenues rose this quarter...although a lot of that from the money losing divisions (XBox). MS is doing well in servers and database. Windows client sales are down. I think they will seriously question all their dalliances in other speculative markets. The Novell relationship may eventually spill over into them supporting Suse desktops.