[News] Microsoft Sponsors Interoperability, But Destroys It at the Same Time

Welcome To The 4th Annual
LinuxAsia Conference & Expo!

,----[ Quote ]
| Goal #1: Promote open source driven innovation so that India can
| showcase a minimum of 20 globally recognised OSS projects at LinuxAsia
| 2008.
|
| Goal #2: Accelerate the adoption of Linux and open source software
| by highlighting their advantages, sharing success stories, and
| discussing strategies on how CXOs can gain advantage from both
| "open source" and "proprietary" worlds.
|
| Goal #3: To provide a platform where other organisations with
| OSS-related agendas can hold their own sub-events and network
| with the entire community.
`----

http://www.linuxasia.net/la07/index.php

Check out the banners on the left. Microsoft is a sponsor boasting
interoperability. Microsoft was also a sponsor in the following conference
on interoperability:

http://www.techxworld.com/registration/index.cfm?fuseaction=dynamic&v=0&p=5069&code=digg

To name a few Linux/OSS conference where Microsoft got involved as well
(contributing funds at some capacity):

PHP, Windows: Not an Oxymoron?

LinuxChix Brazil Meeting - Webcast, teachers and sponsors
http://www.linuxchix.org.br/?q=node/72

Some argue that wherever and whenever Open Source and Linux gets mentioned
these days, Microsoft runs after it. It wants to be part of it, even if just
for malice. I read about conferences (Matt Asay) where it tried to lure in
Linux developers into joining Microsoft.

As for interoperability, I will cite a few examples which demonstrates
Microsoft's real stance:

FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba

,----[ Quote ]
| 'In the section of the interview from around 33m30s to 39m00 Jeremy
| Allison reports how he was told that the Microsoft team implementing
| SMB2 were ordered to "f**k with Samba".'
`----

http://www.twit.tv/floww14

Okay, but there's much more. Microsoft now faces the judge/s in an Iowa
trial. Days ago it was accused and convicted for hiding APIs. Antitrust is
probably on its way.

See for example:

Expert Testimony of Ronald Alepin in Comes v. Microsoft - Embrace, Extend,
Extinguish

Also confer the following:

Here is proof that interoperability is not on the company's agenda.

OpenAjax Alliance tackles interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
| While the alliance already has an impressive list of members, one
| name remains conspicuously absent: Microsoft.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20060920/tc_macworld/openajax20060920

Here is a brand-new example of "extend and extinguish".

Microsoft readies new VPN protocol

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft currently has no plans to seek standardization for SSTP.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/1/21/6698

The following are new and they discuss 'interoperability crimes':

'Microsoft broke anti-trust agreement,' prosecutors claim
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/microsoft_breached_antitrust/

Microsoft used undocumented Windows APIs - Iowa testimony
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/101947/microsoft-used-undocumented-windows-apis-iowa-test