[News] Microsoft 'Buys' Studies to Hype Up Vista Release, Abolish Linux

Vista filip for US states, claims IDC

,----[ Quote ]
| Massachusetts's IT department two years ago decided to throw out both
| Windows and Office and embrace software conforming only to open
| specifications - namely Linux and OpenOffice. After much lobbying
| and politicking the decision was reversed.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/microsoft_windows_vista_idc/

Relevant links to support the above:

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.

MA Governor-Elect Names MS Anti-ODF Lobbyist to Technology Advisory Group

,----[ Quote ]
| That person is Brian Burke, the Microsoft Regional Director for Public
| Affairs, and if that surprises you, it surprises me as well, given the
| degree of acrimonious debate and disinformation witnessed in Massachusetts
| over the last 15 months involving the Information Technology Division's
| transition to ODF.... it is my understanding that it was Burke who led
| the lobbying effort on Beacon Hill against ODF, and also urged legislators
| to introduce the amendment intended to take away much of the ITD's
| planning power generally, and as regards standards specifically, and hand
| it to a task force made up of political appointees.... Although I'm told
| that Burke announced yesterday at the first meeting of the new working
| group that he will be participating as a private citizen rather than a
| Microsoft employee, I believe that Burke should recuse himself from
| participating in any discussions or recommendations relating to
| document format standards.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20061128161343183

Changing the Report, After the Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| That agreement was nearly imperiled last weekend, though. Gerri
| Elliott, corporate vice president at Microsoft's Worldwide Public
| Sector division, sent an e-mail message to fellow commissioners
| Friday evening saying that she "vigorously" objected to a paragraph
| in which the panel embraced and encouraged the development of open
| source software and open content projects in higher education.
`----

http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12