[News] OpenOffice.org Releases the ODF Kit

The OpenOffice.org ODF Toolkit Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The scope of the ODF Toolkit project is:
|
|    1. To improve the ability to use OpenOffice.org as a programming
| framework for creating and processing OpenDocument (ODF) documents
| rather than to use it as a desktop application. This will be
| achieved by transforming an appropriate subset from the OpenOffice.org
| source code basis, and by adapting it to the new purpose.
|
|    2. To provide a home for components that can be used for processing
| ODF documents and that are either based on the new ODF Toolkit, or
| complement it.
`----

http://odftoolkit.openoffice.org/

Related:

KOffice 1.6.1 Release Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| KOffice is an integrated office suite, today mostly for KDE, which
| utilizes free and open standards like OpenDocument for its document
| formats, component communication and component embedding.
`----

http://www.koffice.org/announcements/announce-1.6.1.php

Converter Enables Conversion Between ODF & Chinese Document Format (UOF)

,----[ Quote ]
| Peking University recently released a program to convert office
| documents between OpenDocument Format and the Specification for
| the Chinese office file format based on XML (UOF for short).

China aims to set a new office doc standard

,----[ Quote ]
| In most of the world, Microsoft dominates the market for office
| productivity applications. In China, however, there are at least
| four other domestically developed office suites to choose from.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/12/04/49OPopenent_1.html

IBM project aims to help blind use ODF applications

,----[ Quote ]
| APIs will faciliate visuals to be interpreted by screen readers
| that reproduce information verbally
|
| [...]
|
| The technology is based on interfaces IBM originally developed with
| Sun Microsystems Inc. to make programs on Java and Linux platforms
| accessible to the blind.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/12/13/HNibmblindodf_1.html

Bob Sutor of IBM: I'm a document guy

,----[ Quote ]
| Documents represent the basis for how we store the information that
| will become our history. Software applications and companies will
| come and go, market leaders will change, and certainly all of us
| will be replaced by a new and younger generation of people who think
| about information in very different ways. The choices we make today
| are important and will have implications that will play out over a
| much longer time than the history of word processing and office
| suites to date.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1291

MSXML Is Not an Open Standard (ODF Alliance statement)

,----[ Quote ]
| On December 7, 2006, Ecma approved Office Open XML (OOXML) and plans to
| submit it to the Joint Technical Committee 1 of the International
| Organization for Standardization and International Electrotechnical
| Commission (ISO/IEC JTC1), triggering a 9-12 month process during which
| OOXML will be considered for adoption as an international standard. Several
| critical questions regarding the Ecma process itself and OOXML need to
| be carefully considered, given the long-standing policies of ISO and
| IEC regarding openness and transparency of the standards-development
| process, the technical quality of the standard, and the avoidance of
| "contradictory" standards.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/msxml_is_not_an_open_standard

The Road to KDE 4: New KOffice Technologies

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1168284615/